Posting rules / hints - Page 2

Posting rules / hints

Happenin' news on what is happening in the community. Content releases, new tutorials, other cool stuff.
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Posting rules / hints

Post by Jools »

Post posts about code be forced to include above mention image. Isn't that what code looks like?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

abma wrote:
Jools wrote: a group != Registered users. see my profile maybe as example.
Ok, so you have to be a member of an appropriate group to make posts about a game. But who is the person or group responsible that we should contact to sort out the group memberships?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Jools wrote:Ok, so you have to be a member of an appropriate group to make posts about a game. But who is the person or group responsible that we should contact to sort out the group memberships?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/ucp.php?i=167

the group leader(s)!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Why does not XTA have any rights?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

XTA group members have the right to create new threads in the "community blog"! why do you think they don't have? are you serious?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Oh sorry, I didn't see the XTA group when I looked at the list. My mistake.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I would like to come back to this and ask specifically *which* users have the right to post as behalf of xta, and if there are none, please do whatever is possible so that we have at least 1 current person who can post. Noruas reports that he doesn't have those rights.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

All users who are member of some special group in this forum are able to post a new thread.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Fine, then give us rights to access that group.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't really care how it must be done or what bureaucratic problems there may exist. Just sort this out. If you can't do it then ask someone who can. I have already tried to chase old users who once had access to that group, and I can't find any. Now can you please fix this so we can move on.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

ask pnöpel for that? he should be able to post in community blog and manage this group (=add users as members)
Fine, then give us rights to access that group.
who is "us"?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Well to be fair the "bureaucratic problems" are not just the admins' fault :wink:
pnöpel who is an active XTA leader should add you to the XTA group:
memberlist.php?mode=group&g=3585
I'm trying to investigate if being added to such a group helps, will post here again once I find out.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

All users who are member of some special group in this forum are able to post a new thread.
Go to User Control Panel
On right go to "user groups"

Select one of: http://pastebin.com/WftehDXw

Notice that all* groups say "members can apply to join."
So after applying someone has to accept your application.
Pro tip: That will never happen.
(tried some months/years ago, nobody reacted. No wonder when there are no guidelines, some groups have no leaders listed or leaders last posts were years ago,..)
I put new applications now for Nappers.

Some groups/titles you might have seen under user name are not listed, so can not apply for those groups.
Appearently that is not an accidental result of people randomly clicking things over many years or relict of various forum restructures but because (free citation) "people have special talents", so indeed is on purpose and basically works as custom title.

*The exception is group "Registered users", think can just join that instantly.
But it does not grant right to create news-topics so is useless.

For some groups like "XTA Team" new members can only join upon invitation of a group leader.
So tell Noruas or [KnoX]ElementalGizmo or lurker or pnöpel to add your name.
I've heard some of them are just pnöpeling around.
gajop

Post by gajop »

8611 wrote: Notice that all* groups say "members can apply to join."
Just to be pedantic, only around half of them use the application process, the rest require the leader to invite you (as is the case of the XTA group as you mentioned).
8611 wrote: (tried some months/years ago, nobody reacted. No wonder when there are no guidelines, some groups have no leaders listed or leaders last posts were years ago,..)
There are some plans to cleanup the obsolete groups/members. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

not an accidental result of people randomly ... over many years ... various restructures ... because "people have special talents" ... basically works
Welcome to life :shock: :-) There are some plans to tidy up the groups.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Usergroups enable board admins to better administer users. By default you will be placed in a specific group, this is your default group. This group defines how you may appear to other users, for example your username colouration, avatar, rank, etc. Depending on whether the administrator allows it you may be allowed to change your default group.
This seems to imply that users don't apply to groups but rather that administrators assign them. Or did I understand that wrong?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

8611 wrote: For some groups like "XTA Team" new members can only join upon invitation of a group leader.
So tell Noruas or [KnoX]ElementalGizmo or lurker or pnöpel to add your name.
I've heard some of them are just pnöpeling around.
Apparently there is no invite button or anything like that. We have now both pnöpel and noruas, who are in that group, who say they can not do this. So I assume it has to be done by the moderators administrators.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Since this is as good a place as any to say it, your "Knorke" user can apply to the mapping group. If you want to be in that group you can log into the proper account.

Additionally, 8611 has never released a map. For that reason alone I wouldn't even consider it.

For anyone wondering why I am saying this:
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

The appropriate group here afaics is the XTA team memberlist.php?mode=group&g=3585, into which pnopel should be able to invite people (and should already be able to post news items himself).
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forb just helped me test it by adding my test account to the evo group, and I was able to post in the Community Blog forum. I can confirm the permissions work, so I kindly ask the XTA leaders to figure the forum UI out :)

One weird thing though: why does a group leader have the right to set user's default group? http://i.imgur.com/wOs3IHB.png http://i.imgur.com/B5r3x0X.png
Forboding Angel wrote:Additionally, 8611 has never released a map. For that reason alone I wouldn't even consider it.
>.>
Although it would be preferable if knorke reverted to his old account -> is there a reason he can't?

Return to “Community Blog”