Suggested Minor Improvements

Moderator: Moderators

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

This thread is for small improvements to the site and forums that wouldn't take much time to do, but would be welcome.

Here are two I'd really like to see:
1. Forum topic/page title should come before "The Spring Project" in site header title. It makes skimming tabs easier, and is the system almost all other sites use.

2. Relative dates for forum posts would be nice. It's a lot faster and more natural to check dates and reply in context on forums that change dates in the last 24 hours to "Today" and the 24 before that to "Yesterday."

In case I didn't explain satisfactorily, I mean a timestamp that reads something like
"Posted Today at 2:32 PM"
as opposed to
"Posted Apr 13 2011 at 2:32 PM"

This could probably be done easily by updating this MOD to account for phpBB 3's API updates.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: Suggested Minor Improvements

Post by hoijui »

regarding 2.
that has two problems:
* the time will be "relative" to the servers current time, which may be confusing.
* if you load the site on one day, and look at it an other day, the Yesterday and Today will be incorrect.

when i read relative, i was thinking about 5h 14min after the last post (with the first post having an absolute time).
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

hoijui wrote:regarding 2.
that has two problems:
* the time will be "relative" to the servers current time, which may be confusing.
* if you load the site on one day, and look at it an other day, the Yesterday and Today will be incorrect.

when i read relative, i was thinking about 5h 14min after the last post (with the first post having an absolute time).
Regarding the first point: phpbb lets you set time zones for your account. If you set that up, then the time will make sense. :-)

Your second point, though, is entirely valid. :(
All I can say there is "refresh more often?"
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Don't care about (2). (1) would be very nice - every good site goes from most-to-least specific in the titlebar information.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Rar, rar, syntax highlighting for forum and wiki. :wink:
knorke

Post by knorke »

more buttons for formating in wiki ie for <code> tags, text color, tables,...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

oh hay, work I already did and put into patch form: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... t=tapatalk

Return to “Site content”