Flashing/Fading text colors in lua text drawing?

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

https://github.com/EvolutionRTS/Evoluti ... isplay.lua

I as planning to make the numbers flash when storage is nearly full. Now because I can do all this in gameframe all I need is a simple if statement checking the values vs one another. So that part is simple, but I would like to make the number fade slowly from red to yellow to red again while it is in the nearly full range. I could just make it flash, but I'd rather not cause seizures if I can help it.

I've seen this done in chili widgets before. Does anyone know how to do it in "\255\255\255\255" style?
Silentwings

Re: Flashing/Fading text colors in lua text drawing?

Post by Silentwings »

Change the third number as slowly as you like from \255\255\1\1 through to \255\255\255\1 and then back again.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

How did this topic get in help and bugs? Can someone move it back to game development?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It is moved to the generic forum in which people ask for help because it is a trivial request for help.

(The answer to which can be found on the wiki - https://springrts.com/wiki/Lua_Fonts#Inlined_ColorCodes).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I wasn't asking for the basics of how to use inline color codes -_- I was asking about fading text from one color to another and then back again which is a much larger issue.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 27 Aug 2016, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

After some trial and error, I have an increment counter that counts from 0 to 255 then back down. There are prettier ways to write it I'm sure.

So this is what I have:

Code: Select all

local increment = 0

function widget:GameFrame(n)
	local myTeamID = Spring.GetMyTeamID()
    local ec, es, ep, ei, ee = Spring.GetTeamResources(myTeamID, "energy")

--Normal Energy Display
--    str = yellow .. "Energy:" .. orange .. " ± " .. tostring(math.round(ei - ee)) .. green .. " +" .. tostring(math.round(ei)) .. white .. "/" .. red .. "-" .. tostring(math.round(ep)) .. white .. " (" .. tostring(math.round(ec)) .. "/" .. tostring(math.round(es)) .. ")"

--Custom Evo Energy display
	local warningColor = white -- If the word "energy" displays as white, something below isn't working correctly
	if ec <= 75 then
		warning = true
	else
		warning = false
	end

if warning == true then
		if increment == 0 then
			countUp = true
		end

if increment < 255 and countUp == true then
			increment = increment + 1
		elseif increment > 0 then
			countUp = false
			increment = increment - 1
		end

warningColor = "\255\255\\" .. increment .. "\0"

else
		warningColor = yellow
	end

str = warningColor .. "Energy:" .. orange .. " ± " .. tostring(math.round(ei - ee)) .. green .. " +" .. tostring(math.round(ei)) .. white .. "/" .. red .. "-" .. tostring(math.round(ep)) .. white .. " (" .. yellow .. tostring(math.round(ec)).. white .. "/" .. tostring(math.round(es)) .. ")"
end
This doesn't work, obviously, because warningColor isn't a complete string at that point due to the last \ being escaped in order to use increment. So this of course results in a counter counting from 0 to 255 and back to 0.

How can I get warningColor to work properly? Are there other ways of doing colors that I don't know about? Explicit examples would be welcome so that learning can be done. :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Code man helped me sort it out, the correct line to use is:

warningColor = "\255\255" .. string.char (increment) .. "\0"
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Silentwings wrote:It is moved to the generic forum in which people ask for help because it is a trivial request for help.

(The answer to which can be found on the wiki - https://springrts.com/wiki/Lua_Fonts#Inlined_ColorCodes).
Frankly, nonsense. It is a question about how to do something in lua.

We have a forum for that.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

FLOZi wrote:
Silentwings wrote:It is moved to the generic forum in which people ask for help because it is a trivial request for help.

Frankly, nonsense. It is a question about how to do something in lua.

We have a forum for that.
The forum for threads without own approach to problem is called "Bounty Offers" and a thread about this task is at viewtopic.php?f=86&t=34107
I hope code_man got paid.

User was warned for this post, felony 2. (Silentwings)

Please avoid repeated unconstructive comments.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

The problem with not reading every post in a thread is that sometimes you come out looking awfully silly.

Code_Man helped me with some particularly challenging aspects of the control_victory gadget, and helped me with the basis of the resource widgets, all of which is am extremely grateful to him for. I have actually tried to pay him on multiple occasions, but because of various reasons it seems that I am not able to get money to him. I have even offered to wire it to him, which would cost me more than the amount sent in the first place, but I offered to do it because it was the right thing to do.

As it stands, I either owe him some money, or, my time when/if ever he asks.

But frankly, none of this is any of your business, but I don't really care who knows *shrug*

Fwiw, this is the original widget that he give to me (this is after I had already edited the string quite a bit, but tomato, tomato):
*** April 12, 2016 at 11:44:42 AM PDT
[1:30:23 PM] <[Evo]Forboding_Angel> can you pastebin them real quick?
[1:31:59 PM] <Code_Man> http://pastebin.com/xYNrKjaB
He hasn't touched the widgets since then. Sadly, he didn't set the paste to last forever.

And this is the latest iteration:

As I said, none of this is your business, but... *shrug*

Return to “Lua Scripts”