Particles Fixed

Particles Fixed

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Particles Fixed

Post by PicassoCT »

Now, that Particle Spawn is fixed, half of my stuff doesent work.
There was talk about a config where you could set particles back to near infinite.
Where on the wikki can i find instrucitons to do so.
Anarchid

Re: Particles Fixed

Post by Anarchid »

This is, indeed, an exemplarily informative, specific, and actionable report / request for information.
smoth

Post by smoth »

What do you mean pic?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

There was a defunct Limit on Particles. I used to many. Now the Limit is working, which undoes my CEG.
Somebody agreed that this limit should be user-set-able in a config file.
I do not remember what file it was, what the tag name was.
I want to set the CEG ParticleLimit to math.huge

Yes, this was a badly formulated request.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Do you mean the engine config? https://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettin ... xParticles
EDIT: Be careful with setting huge numbers. This was the #1 performance issue for our recent LD submsision. Test with that lower limited to 5k or at least 10k.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Allow me to be super clear. If you are regularly bumping up against 5k particles, you're probably doing it very wrong. If you're hitting 10k, then that effect needs to be deleted, immediately and the computer it was written on sanitized with fire, just to be safe.

As CEG intensive as evo is (Easily the most effect intensive game in spring atm), it hovers around 1 - 1.5k. In huge battles it will spike up around 4k, but any sane user config will be capped at 5k anyway.

That is one of the primary advantages of ceg, user settings can cull the particles so they don't destroy the machine running the game. People try to compare LUPs to CEG, but there is no direct comparison. LUPs serves a different purpose and each has it's strengths. That said, LUPs can bring a beastly system to it's knees easily, moreover, LUPs has a spotty track record with amd/ati/intel crapcards. A damn shame really, cause what CEG does well can't be done well in LUPs, and what LUPs does well can't be done with CEGs very well (that said, you can replicate LUPs with CEG fairly well-ish, the inverse is not true, however).
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Forboding Angel wrote:Allow me to be super clear. If you are regularly bumping up against 5k particles, you're probably doing it very wrong. If you're hitting 10k, then that effect needs to be deleted, immediately and the computer it was written on sanitized with fire, just to be safe.
Fire is not so effective: try tomato juice instead :)
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

you can replicate LUPs with CEG fairly well-ish, the inverse is not true, however).
I think you need to multiply your vectors by -1

Return to “Lua Scripts”