Hybrid Overhead Camera (v4) - Page 2

Hybrid Overhead Camera (v4)

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

mongus

Re: Hybrid Overhead Camera (v4)

Post by mongus »

very_bad_soldier wrote:There is a historical archive. You can download every single version of a widget (besides the ones deleted by regret :P) in SpringDownloader.
I cant find it, link please? and that may be little out of hand for typical user.
i still rather have a manual collection.
very_bad_soldier wrote:I dont think your spring widget folder is the right place for a historical archive though.
mongus wrote:for example, ca downloader already deletes older versions of the ca mod, why not to do the same with widgets?
I have my collection at the download folder for spring, with maps mods etc.
Regret wrote:The reason I name them alike is so you don't have 2 versions of same widget on at the same time.
is this possible?
i have had 2 versions of widgets in widgets folder and not realized any overlapping/bug/odd thing was happening.
In this case, your original "v3" was bugged, and v2 worked fine.
but thats just a nuisance if you update bugs frequently.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

mongus wrote:
very_bad_soldier wrote:There is a historical archive. You can download every single version of a widget (besides the ones deleted by regret :P) in SpringDownloader.
I cant find it, link please? and that may be little out of hand for typical user.
i still rather have a manual collection.
Sure. Select a widget, press the small button labeled '>' between the update button and zip-download button.
I couldnt think of an easier way to do it frankly (ok, maybe the button is a bit too small). Sorry, cant help you with your manual collection :mrgreen:
Regret wrote:With my widget it means less bugs, that's why I don't keep old versions.
Lucky you if thats actually the case for your widgets but dont except it to be true for mine. :P
Regret

Post by Regret »

mongus wrote:i have had 2 versions of widgets in widgets folder and not realized any overlapping/bug/odd thing was happening.
In this case, your original "v3" was bugged, and v2 worked fine.
but thats just a nuisance if you update bugs frequently.
v3 was less bugged than v2. Overlapping widgets can cause problems.
mongus

Post by mongus »

tested the widget in some games.

its gets more interesting as you get more used to it.

anyhow have some advice.

the middle mouse pan, gets stuck way too frequently, i think it happens when you drag+click.

the camera speed is in general too fast.

the camera reposittion on zoom in, is too violent too.
maybe you need a "neutral zone" near the middle of the screen, in which it does just zoom in (think this is the way ta overhead works?)

the rest is very cool, kudos and keep up the good job.

(and yes, that v3 you posted then removed/replaced with another v3 had some bug with mmb i dont recall well.)
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

bug report:

1) when smoothscroll widget is enabled, mousewheel is inverted
2) i managed to zoom out so far away that i couldn't zoom back in, also pressing tab ate my minimap (BA 7 mostly default widgets)
Regret

Post by Regret »

imbaczek wrote:bug report:

1) when smoothscroll widget is enabled, mousewheel is inverted
2) i managed to zoom out so far away that i couldn't zoom back in, also pressing tab ate my minimap (BA 7 mostly default widgets)
Smooth scroll is incompatible with other camera widgets. I am not going to add more hacks just to fix smooth scroll problems.

Delete function widget:MouseWheel(up, value) from smoothscroll to fix. I don't even see why smooth scroll should have mousewheel.
mongus wrote:the middle mouse pan, gets stuck way too frequently, i think it happens when you drag+click.
Spring engine bug.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Gota wrote:Can you add an otion to make the camera only zomm out till u see the entire map and not more.
I've been working on just such a thing here - http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19926. (link at very bottom) It's still in very rough shape though.... I do plan on getting it to work with the TA camera though.

Edit: Erm, meant to PM this, must've gotten confused ... sorry.
Gedanken

Post by Gedanken »

This is the best camera for Spring as far as I'm concerned. My only gripe is it interferes with Command Insert widget, which I use a lot. Is there a way of binding this to tab or something instead of meta/space? A modification like that would make this widget ub3r l33t

edit I unbound tab for overview so this key is free for me. If there was some way of changing the key manually in the script that would be pretty neato
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I like the widget, but it doesn't properly zoom to the spot your mouse is pointing at. It overshoots.
Gota

Post by Gota »

CarRepairer wrote:I like the widget, but it doesn't properly zoom to the spot your mouse is pointing at. It overshoots.
Yeah your mouse cursor moves to different locations which is very confusing..if this is to be used the mouse cursor must remain on the same spt as u zoom in and out.
Gedanken

Post by Gedanken »

Yeah I forgot about that - zoom issue is frustrating too and has made this more of a spec/screenie camera than a play camera. With fix of zoom point (if possible) and different hotkey option, then this widget would be a real candidate for replacement of default camera
Gota

Post by Gota »

I would like to also ad for an option for the camera to stop zooming out as soon as the entire map is visible.
For gameplay,in all cases i can think of there is no need to zoom further than the point at which you see the entire map.
It would be cool to have an option to restrict the camera like this but leave the option to not restrict it.
So would be cool if the max zoom when restricted would look exactly as if you have pressed the tab button.
A full view of the map from a completely top down view.
As you would zoom in from such a view the camera would start slowly showing the battle a bit more form the side so when your zoomed in maximally you would see everything form the side.
This type of camera is used in Supcom FA and is perfect for quickly switching zooms for a game that allows to completely zoom out of the battle,like Supcom and Spring.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Hm, who needs any other camera than this one?

Let's just hardcode this, and take out all the other shitty cameras that no one uses.
Gedanken

Post by Gedanken »

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not being facetious. :? The camera is very good and imho should definitely be looked at by the devs for inclusion in engine. Imo this would be used far more than the other shitty camera modes, as mentioned above by Neuralize
mongus

Post by mongus »

Just reporting it does not work with CA.

also, seems that at "very close" zoom levels, the pan displacement and scroll speed get too slow. Its just a detail, have not complains really.

something i wanted, is that you can look from the ground angle, straigth up, but withouth looking at/through the ground itself...
Regret

Post by Regret »

mongus wrote:Just reporting it does not work with CA.
It works with CA. CA test version disables all user widgets so you might have a problem there.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Trying it out, very good, will def try and put it in CA. Its a shame that space has to be used to tilt the camera though. What are the other options? My immediate instinct is button 3, but some people do actually use 'crosshair' scroll. Perhaps while in crosshair mode, the keys could be used to tilt the camera? Clearly you wont be using both the keys and the crosshair scroll at once. Edit: I see you've included the option to use middle click to rotate ill try this out.

Finally, the camera really should stay above the ground as said.

User widgets can now be unlocked via crudemenu. At least in theory. When i test it it crashes (meh). Locking user widgets out is pretty bad, it really stifles innovation if nothing else and CA is meant to encourage that. Having a separate profile for active widgets in CA is really the optimum solution, so widgets you've enabled for other mods arent on in CA automatically (which should help prevent stuff like ICEUI crashing if ChilliUI is on).
Regret

Post by Regret »

Saktoth wrote:Finally, the camera really should stay above the ground as said.
Explain?
Saktoth wrote:When i test it it crashes
If you mean this widget then post infolog.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Tilt the camera so that you are looking directly up at the sky. Ta-da, you are now underground staring uselessly at the underside of the map.

Also function widget:MouseRelease(_,_,mb) should be function widget:MouseRelease(mx,my,mb), i assume this is some debugging oversight. The minimap check doesnt work otherwise.

Any chance the middle mouse button could be a push, like meta is, rather than a toggle?

The crash is when unlocking CA's widgets using crudemenu in test dont worry about it.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Saktoth wrote:Tilt the camera so that you are looking directly up at the sky. Ta-da, you are now underground staring uselessly at the underside of the map.
I kinda like being able to see everything.
Saktoth wrote:Also function widget:MouseRelease(_,_,mb) should be function widget:MouseRelease(mx,my,mb), i assume this is some debugging oversight. The minimap check doesnt work otherwise.
Thanks, no idea how I missed that :|
Saktoth wrote:Any chance the middle mouse button could be a push, like meta is, rather than a toggle?
Maby.

Ask BrainDamage, he modified his version to do exactly that afaik.

Return to “Lua Scripts”