REQ: Loop Selection

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Fairly self explanatory. The current system uses a box to select units which is a really old system and is no longer sufficient to my needs.

Basically you draw a custom shape around the units you want and when released, they become selected. This would be much more efficient to my needs and I'm sure my needs will be satisfied.
Last edited by Jazcash on 18 Jul 2009, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Masure

Re: REG: Loop Selection

Post by Masure »

Custom formation source + point in polygon algorithm ?
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Sounds interesting, though I cannot think of a situation where it would be useful and a rectangle would not suffice. A lot of the code can be taken from custom formations though. Will take a look at it sometime.
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Finished, uploaded to springdownloader. Called "Loop Select". Requires holding down alt.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Weird, Spring downloader tells me I've already installed it when I've never touched it yet. It didn't appear in my widget menu ingame, nor did it work because I presume it actually wasn't installed :P

Tried removing and installing again, same problem. Extracting it to a Zip archive gave me an error. The widget also doesn't appear in my LuaUI Widgets folder.

This organization does not tolerate mistakes Mr Niobium :twisted:

Looking forward to trying it out though :P
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Yeah, I screwed something up with uploading, I'm very tired. Also 'alt' was a bad key to pick. I'll get a proper upload up sometime soon
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Uploaded properly now, uses meta (spacebar) this time
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Wow, really epic widget ^_^ I'd love to have this as default. Ima find this much more effective than the silly rectangle selection :)

Thanks so much :D
Masure

Post by Masure »

JAZCASH wrote:Wow, really epic widget ^_^ I'd love to have this as default. Ima find this much more effective than the silly rectangle selection :)

However, selecting with a custom shape takes longer time than dragging a box in many cases.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Masure wrote:
JAZCASH wrote:Wow, really epic widget ^_^ I'd love to have this as default. Ima find this much more effective than the silly rectangle selection :)

However, selecting with a custom shape takes longer time than dragging a box in many cases.
Ofc, but I'm willing to put in that extra bit of effort when I need too ;)

Btw, uploaded some pix for ya:

Niobium

Re: REQ: Loop Selection

Post by Niobium »

Just a note: It connects the end point to start point to complete the loop, then gets regions from there.

So you could do an L shape and it would select units in the triangle formed. Or you could do a figure 8 and it would select units in both the 'o's.
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

this will be rly useful for 1v1
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

awesome widget, thought about something similiar in the past
Regret

Post by Regret »

Niobium wrote:Just a note: It connects the end point to start point to complete the loop, then gets regions from there.
Perhaps it should always show that line connecting end and start with a different color?
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Regret wrote:
Niobium wrote:Just a note: It connects the end point to start point to complete the loop, then gets regions from there.
Perhaps it should always show that line connecting end and start with a different color?
Yeah, I thought about that, but I just did a solid white line to finish it off and release it. I'm not sure what people want in terms of looks, so post your suggestions.

I'll probably also make it fade the loop after selecting, things instantly disappearing looks odd to me.
flop

Post by flop »

this takes more work to select units
boxes is just drag click
id rather do 2 boxes to select a wierd shape
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

flop wrote:this takes more work to select units
boxes is just drag click
id rather do 2 boxes to select a wierd shape
You don't even have to complete the shape. I'm using it by only drawing half a circle around the units I want atm.

Also Niob, making it prettier would be nice but I think you should make it stick to the map like Custom Formations line so it doesn't change when you move camera or zoom.

Also, is there anyway I can make this default? I'd prefer this than rectangle.
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

JAZCASH wrote:Also, is there anyway I can make this default? I'd prefer this than rectangle.
yes! this would make it so much quicker if u could just do it with left click i am in many favours of this idea here
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

JAZCASH wrote:Also Niob, making it prettier would be nice but I think you should make it stick to the map like Custom Formations line so it doesn't change when you move camera or zoom.

Also, is there anyway I can make this default? I'd prefer this than rectangle.
Originally it was going to stick to map, but then you get problems with loop-selecting flying/high units, especially if you were moving camera.

Solution would be that it would draw on map, and then select units considering only their x/z and not height, and maybe also filter out planes completely (To fit in with the loop being on the ground).

It is really easy to switch from screen<->map, so I'll go write up another version and you guys can try it out.
ChaosMonkey wrote:
JAZCASH wrote:Also, is there anyway I can make this default? I'd prefer this than rectangle.
yes! this would make it so much quicker if u could just do it with left click i am in many favours of this idea here
I don't know if it is possible to make it default, I'll have a look.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

this looks shit hot, gj

Return to “Lua Scripts”