Custom Formations 2

Custom Formations 2

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Jazcash

Custom Formations 2

Post by Jazcash »

I know some players been using this: http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1680 and found it helpful.

However, the author says to hold the "Meta key". yet, I have tried every key on my keyboard and it's obvious my keyboard has no "Meta key".

Could someone with knowledge figure out how to use this and change it to a key more existent? Buckets of gold cookies will follow.

Niobium wrote:A wild update appears ! (and rezzes the thread)

v3.3:
-----
- Fixed possibility of lines exiting the map, which could mangle orders or prevent them being issued.
- Clicking and dragging from a guard command will begin a move formation line.
- The control key modifier will now cause units to move at the slowest units speed for formations.

As usual the latest version can be found at the widget database.

Important to update due to the first change, the bug is reasonably rare in general use but for formations near the map edge (often with air units) it is more common.

The second change is for when your cursor is over an allied unit, which will turn your cursor into a guard command instead of the default move, the change allows you to start a move formation by dragging that guard command, which lets you do move formations without focusing on making sure you click the ground and not a unit. Great when you are in a rush.

The third change brings custom formations closer to spring functionality with the ability to slow down faster units in a group, but with all the usual formation goodness, works for any command. Also fixes previously-slowed units continuing to be slow on further orders.
Last edited by Jazcash on 24 Feb 2011, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
YHCIR

Re: Custom Formations 2

Post by YHCIR »

JAZCASH wrote: yet, I have tried every key on my keyboard and it's obvious my keyboard has no "Meta key".
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Hold space.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I only know that Meta-key can be configured by yourself (uikeys.txt?). By default it is SPACE afaik.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Hmm, I'm using Beh's keys. Space isn't doing it for me :<

Update: Tried using old keys again, still not working.
Could somebody that can actually get this working post?
very_bad_soldier

Hm, works for me.
You have to select some units. Hit 'Attack'. Hold Space and draw a line while left-clicking.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Ok, it works now. It's cause I was right clicking instead of left clicking. I presumed it would be the same as usual but with a key bind...
Thanks.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

META = START/COMMAND key. Take THAT, das keyboard users! :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

why on earth are we calling it the meta key? Lets call ti the bannana key and let our end users flail about in frustration, oh wait they already are
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

"Where's the Meta key?" can now replace "Where's the Any key?"

or "Where's the Return key?
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

both widgets v1 or v2 crash on new spring.. many players get this :/

[ 54918] Slasher is being attacked
[ 54993] LuaUI::RunCallIn: error = 2, MouseRelease, [string "E:\Program Files\TASpring\LuaUI\Widgets\uni..."]:710: attempt to index local 'next_node' (a nil value)
[ 55088] LuaUI::RunCallIn: error = 2, MouseRelease, [string "E:\Program Files\TASpring\LuaUI\Widgets\uni..."]:710: attempt to index local 'next_node' (a nil value)
[ 55121] LuaUI::RunCallIn: error = 2, MouseRelease, [string "E:\Program Files\TASpring\LuaUI\Widgets\uni..."]:710: attempt to index local 'next_node' (a nil value)
[ 55367] LuaUI::RunCallIn: error = 2, MouseRelease, [string "E:\Program Files\TASpring\LuaUI\Widgets\uni..."]:710: attempt to index local 'next_node' (a nil value)
[ 55368] 5 errors deep in LuaUI, disabling...

This is a must have widget ofc :)
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 25#p358125

See that post of mine. Pretty sure that the no next node / crash on mouse release bug is solved.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

CarRepairer wrote:"Where's the Meta key?" can now replace "Where's the Any key?"

or "Where's the Return key?
I thought meta was the escape key, didn't some older computers actually have this key?
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

Niobium wrote:http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 25#p358125

See that post of mine. Pretty sure that the no next node / crash on mouse release bug is solved.
If this ver works well why not uploading it to spring downloader?
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

he has to be the one that upped cf2 to springdownloader or ask very_bad_soldier
very_bad_soldier

Done... Feel free to bug me for an account though to be able to update it yourself...
very_bad_soldier

Is CustomFormations1 hereby deprecated and can totally replaced by CustomFormations2? I would purge CF1 from SpringDownloader if so...
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Customformations2 was rebuilt from the latest version of customformations1. It includes all functionality, plus additional fixes. All additional features are optional via having to hold meta key. So I would say yes
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

So where can one read about those "extra features", what they do and where they're bound?

I checked .lua rly fast and couldn't see anything that would help me (comments and stuff, I can't read code very fast).
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Wisse wrote:So where can one read about those "extra features", what they do and where they're bound?

I checked .lua rly fast and couldn't see anything that would help me (comments and stuff, I can't read code very fast).
Good point, they aren't explained anywhere in the file. I guess I just assumed people would know.

Anyway, customformations 2 will let you do all the usual things customformations 1 does, as well as letting you draw attack lines/unload lines. Because click-and-drag with attack/unload is already used by spring for box-attack and area-unload, you have to hold down the meta key (Default is spacebar) and then click-drag to start drawing the attack/unload line.

Other things are that it doesn't give orders in mid air, or underground, doesn't crash in new spring, and doesn't factor in units that can't execute the order when drawing the line (i.e. the line won't have holes in it if certain units cant attack/unload/move/etc)
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

This version will probably go in BA next release btw, if there's any other feature you want to add and have been putting off ;)

Return to “Lua Scripts”