Custom Formations 2 - Page 4

Custom Formations 2

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Pxtl

Re: Custom Formations 2

Post by Pxtl »

Could we get support for a single unit? Just send the unit to a random point on the line. I often get annoyed by the sudden jump to the old wall-move instead of line-move. Factories get the wall-move, don't they? Sending the built units to a random location would be good for the factory orders.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

can we remove the meta key bullshit? why would I want to drag the buggy line in any situation when I can draw one
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Pxtl wrote:Could we get support for a single unit? Just send the unit to a random point on the line. I often get annoyed by the sudden jump to the old wall-move instead of line-move. Factories get the wall-move, don't they? Sending the built units to a random location would be good for the factory orders.
Factories get the formation lines. As for single unit, just don't click and drag? I guess I could add it anyway.
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:can we remove the meta key bullshit? why would I want to drag the buggy line in any situation when I can draw one
What? Widget uses alt instead of meta now, and it applies to attack/unload only, such that you can still do box attack and area unload.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

For solo units may I suggest adding some functionality like this since clicking and dragging with 1 unit currently doesn't have a function in spring:

I've already hacked this into my copy but it was a quick job and not very neat so i'll keep it to myself for now, however it is a useful skirmishing feature.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

nice idea, couldnt u release it?
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

TheFatController wrote:For solo units may I suggest adding some functionality like this since clicking and dragging with 1 unit currently doesn't have a function in spring:

<image>

I've already hacked this into my copy but it was a quick job and not very neat so i'll keep it to myself for now, however it is a useful skirmishing feature.
Really cool idea, also solves Pxtl's problem of the ugly wall-formation thing appearing for single units, probably useful for buggy pathing out of factories too if there's a difficult corner to get around.

I'll code it in when I have the time later today.
TheFatController

One thing that is nice is that the unit can start moving as the line is being drawn in this mode as there's no need to wait ;)

Drawback is it possibly sends too many commands if it's unoptimized.
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Version 2.1 released. Get from SpringDownloader or the widget database

Implemented TFCs idea. With a single unit selected it will follow the line starting immediately. Works with shift, but cannot be inserted. Waypoints are spaced a minimum distance apart (Configurable at top of file).

Shouldn't be any bugs, but the minimum spacing may need some tweaking, its a trade-off between speed/successful pathing and accuracy.

Tested in BA with zippers (Good), jeffys (Good), planes (Bad).

Depending on popularity there are many improvements that could be made (Inserting / Longer waypoints for planes / Working with multiple planes following one line / Curve smoothing / etc), so if you think this line thing is awesome then post some ideas.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

the distance between the waypoints could be a function of the zoom/distance camera-ground
TheFatController

Looks good, better than my hack - thanks for the quick update 8)
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

couldnt u release a seperate widget, coz i would find it really usefull to set an attack route for more units with that drawing
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

this post is a thank you and a compliment to niobium for working so hard on this widget.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

i haven't read the complete thread so maybe somebody already suggested it. what i would like to have is that when i have a lot of units selected and i draw a short line that they'd make more then 1 line, depending on the length of the line i draw and the amount + size of the units selected. the second line should be build behind the first one starting in the middle of the first. i hope thats comprehensive...
TheFatController

Maybe you could use the scroll wheel while drawing the line to control that, might be a bit fiddly and hard to do tho..!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

But my mouse wheel is already used for zooming, and yes I do want to zoom in and out while drawing formation.
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

i think that makes sense
otherwise all the units will clump together
there should be a maximum "layers" to line-length ratio
just so it doesnt get too out of control
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

If I understood you right with how you want several lines, you can draw a kinda S-shaped line to do that.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

JohannesH wrote:If I understood you right with how you want several lines, you can draw a kinda S-shaped line to do that.
Yeah seriously it's not rocket science.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

CarRepairer wrote:
JohannesH wrote:If I understood you right with how you want several lines, you can draw a kinda S-shaped line to do that.
yea, though if i have 50 units selected id be sitting there for 2 mins drawing lines ... thats what widgets are all about, making life easier, right?
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

TheMightyOne wrote:
CarRepairer wrote:
yea, though if i have 50 units selected id be sitting there for 2 mins drawing lines ... thats what widgets are all about, making life easier, right?
why not making a seperate widget for it, that works like in total war

Return to “Lua Scripts”