Ally resource bars for the standard GUI v1.3 - Page 2

Ally resource bars for the standard GUI v1.3

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: Ally resource bars for the standard GUI v1.3

Post by TheFatController »

That's strange the BA one saves the screen position, must have been an older version posted here (which also had a bug somewhere where it was checking for the wrong id somewhere (mixup of team/player/ally) not sure if you found that too)

Good work tho ;)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I made the changes while spectating 4 or 5 games, so reading the code and figuring out how you had went about rendering the bars wasnt too high on my priority list, as was making sure it worked and figuring out where the swarms of units were headed ingame =p

Nice additions bd!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ok Ive tested it out, and its epic fail. I mouse over a resource bar, flick my eyes to the opposite corner of the screen to read who it is, and if you mouse cursor slides a little bit I have to move back and then repeat the whole process.

While using the default tool tip makes sense from a code point of view, it is horrendous from a user interface point of view because of the vastly increased friction.

All the rest of it is fine though
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

AF wrote:Ok Ive tested it out, and its epic fail. I mouse over a resource bar, flick my eyes to the opposite corner of the screen to read who it is, and if you mouse cursor slides a little bit I have to move back and then repeat the whole process.

While using the default tool tip makes sense from a code point of view, it is horrendous from a user interface point of view because of the vastly increased friction.

All the rest of it is fine though
I agree, that's why I don't use the default tooltip and use a custom widget for it :P

I hate having to flip my eyes all over the screen everytime I have to read a tooltip, so I made myself an inlined tooltip widget a while ago
Attachments
gui_inlinetip.lua
(8.28 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Brain Damage wrote:I hate having to flip my eyes all over the screen everytime I have to read a tooltip, so I made myself an inlined tooltip widget a while ago
You need to remove the modifcation of gl.Text. It breaks all widgets that use gl.Text properly...
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

there, I guess I can't be lazy with copypasta :x
Attachments
gui_inlinetip.lua
(8.16 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Jazcash wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:MT is unstable jaz. The problem has everything to do with MT and very little do do with the luaz.
Yeah, I agree, although, Ice UI hs its own Ally Resource bars element and it causes the same GML spam issue. However, Meltrax cleverly deployed some magix some time ago to hide the spam messages from view. Doesn't fix the issue, but makes Ally Resources usable with the MT build.
Please tell me where to get this, I have horrible lua errors but I can't find the source. As far as I can tell everything WORKS so I just need a way to hide those messages. x_x
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Hobo Joe wrote:
Jazcash wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:MT is unstable jaz. The problem has everything to do with MT and very little do do with the luaz.
Yeah, I agree, although, Ice UI hs its own Ally Resource bars element and it causes the same GML spam issue. However, Meltrax cleverly deployed some magix some time ago to hide the spam messages from view. Doesn't fix the issue, but makes Ally Resources usable with the MT build.
Please tell me where to get this, I have horrible lua errors but I can't find the source. As far as I can tell everything WORKS so I just need a way to hide those messages. x_x
If you're using Ice UI, go to this directory: C:/Program Files/Spring/Luaui/Widgets/IceUI/Accessories and run the "Updater for Windows.bat" file.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

somebody made an unofficial update (check out the SD)
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

nevermind i'm braindead
Manoa

Post by Manoa »

I've merged my changes from my topic (I had no idea there was work done by others since 1.3)

I encountered a few bugs during merge I will upload as soon as they are fixed
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

I use multithreaded spring version and this plugin does not work. It shows error message when spring starts: "Error in GameFrame(): [string "LuaUI\Widgets\gui_ally_res.lua"]:228: Invalid call". In siglethreaded spring it works fine! Can someone fix it?

Return to “Lua Scripts”