Widget Manager - Page 3

Widget Manager

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Widget Manager

Post by PicassoCT »

where it at men?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Responsibility for widgets slowly moved from the players to the games as various games realized that their default UI needs to be good. Widget writing moved from players to developers as widgets became more complex and some players became developers. There does not seem to be any widget manager at the moment.

Many of the early widgets live on in the codebases of most major games.
gajop

Post by gajop »

It does suck there doesn't seem to be a working widget manager for the default widget handler.
At least I can't remember if something was done (Silentwings did try something iirc).

This makes new game development slightly more difficult, as was my experience with LD games.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Iirc jK had a reason for this but I've forgotten what it was.

Imo, it would be better if the default widget handler included the necessary hooks to, if wanted, drop in the "default" widget selector as a (user or game) widget. In principle it's not hard to do it. However, the default handlers are a mess: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=34611&p=576864#p576864

I never pushed to have it put into the default handler because the BA/BAR widgethandlers that I actually knew+maintained were old-stye and did not use the "new abstract-out-the-callin-name" style handler (which I did not like, and never used, since they were harder to customize and made debugging rare+serious callin related bugs more difficult).

@ viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16122&p=582945#p582943, what really caused the players->devs shift is that at some point, all the easy widgets had already been written ;)

Return to “Lua Scripts”