Advanced Players List widget - Page 2

Advanced Players List widget

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Marmoth

Re: Advanced Players List widget (v02)

Post by Marmoth »

Hello all!

Thanks for comments.

First of all, i commited a 3.1 version that correct the spec colors bug (that is also why the previous link was broken). You can find it here:

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1390

@ ZellSF
ZellSF wrote:First alphabetic sorting
This is possible. But it is quite detail. I remember it, but will keep it for later.
ZellSF wrote:make sharing units automatically create informative points
This is a good idea. I thought about it before and will probably do it as soon as i have time and clue on how to do it.
ZellSF wrote:I'm wondering if there's any way you make the way it figures out what to outline with white a bit more similar to how the default list does?
I simply add the 3 colors and check if it reaches a certain number (0.9 in the 3.1 version, 0.7 in the 3.0). This is not a big deal to adapt it. Probably the default works the same, perhaps with a different limit.
ZellSF wrote:if you click and hold an eye icon and drag your mouse away, the eye icons stop working
A question: does it mean that you have to click once again after that or that the button is completely broken?

In the latter case, this is quite problematic and i will have a look at it.

---------------------------

@ Brain damage
Brain Damage wrote:there is a sidepics folder already inside the mod archive, you can use that (you can access it using the VFS)
Ok, this would be a good solution. The problem is that for now, no mod contains the needed icons (current sidepics are already colored, no white outline, sometimes .bmp aso.). I could make default for arm and core and leave to the mod devs the task to add their own ones in their mod files. Would it be a good compromize?

----

I must go now, ill answer other posts later...

Marmoth
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

i like it but i really miss the good old pings :[
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Here are greyscale side icons for Spring: 1944 in the portable network graphics format.

Good work with the widget, it continues to improve.
Attachments
S44 Side Icons.rar
Side Icons.
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Marmoth

Post by Marmoth »

... Rest of the answers

@ Argh
Argh wrote:1. Please use a percentile, and a two-variable setup x,z for placement of the Widget arbitrarily on the screen
This will be done. It was much easier for me to start with static stuff, but now that i am getting how it works better and better, ill do it. Thx for the text scaling tip (but does it work with fonthandler methods? or only with gl.text?).
Argh wrote:3. Don't forget to localize variables such as gl.Color, etc
Ill do it, with some other speed up stuff.

-----------------------

@ Kaine
Kaine wrote:Minor bug: Conflicts with dgun limit widget. The top line flashes the same color as the Dgun Limits text. See attachment below.
I will solve it even if its more a dgun limits widget problem. The color variables are not set to default at the end of Dgun Limits. (Its the same question as washing the coffee machine after or before making coffee).

-----------------------

@ Neddie

Did you test your icons (simply by adding them to the /LuaUI/Images/advplayerslist/ directory)? They look quite dark and i dont know if dark colors player colors make a good effect (i dont have spring 1944 to test it). Furthermore, you can make white outline images to allow white outlining when the image is too dark. The easiest way to do it is to take the greyscale image and apply the following (with perhaps some other little adaptations):
1. Reverse colors
2. Set black as alpha (in gimp "color to alpha")
3. Save image as <factionname>WO.png in the same directory
Thanks for the images.

-------------------

OKAY :-) , thats all for now!

Thanks everybody.

Marmoth
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I will test them and resubmit if necessary.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think these are pretty good, they look fresh with a variety of colours and suit the mood of S44 pretty well.
advplaytests44.PNG
advplaytests44.PNG (64.9 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Argh

Post by Argh »

only with gl.text
Um... probably yes. Sorry, I am guilty of not reading that section of the source. Probably the kerning, etc., can all be auto-adjusted in a similar way, though, I'd be really surprised if gl.text isn't doing just that. Sorry, that is an additional wrinkle.

Also, it's important that this can be placed in the upper portion of a screen as well as the lower. Most UIs being developed (that I've seen, anyhow) have the main UI on the lower half of the screen, so it should be able to scale / add downwards as well as upwards, imo.
FrOzEnTaCo

Post by FrOzEnTaCo »

my pictures dont work where do i put them?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The white outlining still isn't similar to the engine's. Now aluis gets outlined in that replay, but fastforwardhero still doesn't. Not sure how the engine does it though..
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

NOiZE wrote:i like it but i really miss the good old pings :[
me2, maybe just my own ping and cpu
Marmoth

Post by Marmoth »

FrOzEnTaCo wrote:my pictures dont work where do i put them?
Put them in the /spring/LuaUI/Images/advplayerslist/ directory. They must be 16x16 .png and be called according to the side name in the system (ex: arm.png).
ZellSF wrote:The white outlining still isn't similar to the engine's. Now aluis gets outlined in that replay, but fastforwardhero still doesn't. Not sure how the engine does it though..
Is it really problematic? I can set the limit a bit higher in the next release if you want. The main goal is to prevent the very very dark ones to be unreadable, which is done with the current version i think. (@ other people: feel free to give your pow)
manolo_ wrote:NOiZE wrote:
i like it but i really miss the good old pings :[

me2, maybe just my own ping and cpu
The goal of this widget change is to gain space. The goal of the ping/cpu indicators are to tell who lags and how badly, which is achieved, no real need to know your exact ping. Therefore, i suggest to use another widget to show these technical and tuning-like numbers for your own computer (perhaps a FPS + PING + CPU usage widget). This would be quite easy to do and wouldnt make the adv players list more heavy than needed by normal players.
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

On the outlining issue, are you weighting the colors when adding them? Artistic things are far outside my area of expertise, but blue and colors with blue in them always seem darker than ones with an otherwise equal amount of yellow. And similarly the same with red, but darker than both blue and yellow. I wouldn't weight blue much more than yellow if at all, but red I would give a significant weighting over it.

Course, as said it is pretty good how it is.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Yeah I think Archangel has a point, I don't think increasing the number will work well, as that's not what the engine does.
Marmoth

Advanced players list v04

Post by Marmoth »

Hello all!

Version 04 is out.

Changes:

- added give buttons for energy/metal (click drag to the right amount, release and its done)

- use openclose button (with 2 red arrows) to open/close the give buttons panel

- right click and drag on the openclose button to move the widget along the right screen border

- gadget width set according to players' names' width

- new search system for sidepics (look first for <sidename>.png and <sidename>WO.png -should be in the mod files: mod/LuaUI/Images/advplayerslist/-, then for default pic <sidename>_default.png and <sidename>WO_default.png for that side in spring/LuaUI/Images/advplayerslist) then, if no image file were found, use the default. (next step would be to generate those pics from standard sidepics, but i don't have the skills (yet?) to do that)

- included (default) sidepics for s44 (you can overwrite them by adding images files in the mod itself)

Notes:

About geometry: This widget isn't that easy to scale because of name sizes. Making it's size is screen % is a big loss of space for big screens (you dont need a big players list). Making it smaller for small screen make it unreadable. I therefore came to the conclusion that the best way was to give it a fixed size and give the opportunity to move it along right screen border.

About white outline: I think current system works quite well even if its not exaclty the same as standard engine. If somebody wants to fine tune the fomula (for now its considered dark if r+g+b < 0.9), feel free to do it. Ill include it in the next version.

Any feedback welcome!
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Link?
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Nice I'm sure this is really useful. Did you think about merging this with IceUI's player list? AFAIK it has the same funcionality (sharing units/resources). Maybe ask MelTrax if it makes sense to share some code.
Marmoth

Advanced players list v04.1

Post by Marmoth »

Little bug correction (position of the spectator title)

Link: http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1411
pktm

Post by pktm »

I think it would be nice to be able to hide certain parts. If I don't ever want to see the list of enemies, I should be able to klick a button in the title row of the enemy tab and then it hides.

e.g.
visible:
Allies [hide]
----------------
- Ally 1
- Ally 2

Enemies [hide]
----------------
- E1
- E2

Allies hidden:
Allies [show]
Enemies [hide]
----------------
- E1
- E2
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'll try to get you the Gundam, E&E, SW:IW and War Evo icons soon, Marmoth!
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

At the moment spectators gets a red arrow, clicking it just expands the side pictures outside the semi-transparent box. Oh, how do I get that fully transparent? Edit 2: never mind, figured out that.

Allies/Enemies headers should maybe expand when you show sharing buttons... buttons themselves are very space efficient and act very intuitive.

I also couldn't figure out how to share units to an AI, maybe it works for players I don't know, do you still have to double click?

Also:
http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1411

Return to “Lua Scripts”