Widget ideas

Widget ideas

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

UAF

Widget ideas

Post by UAF »

Hello, first of all I'd like to say that I'm new to Spring and know nothing about Lau scripting, therefore there might already be widgets that do some of these ideas. If there are, PLEASE refer me to them. :)

I intend to try and learn Lau scripting in order to make those widgets, but I'm using the forum to list the ideas because there is a chance that someone with experience in widget making might decide to make one of those himself/herself and not wait for me to learn Lau which will be nice.

And of course, maybe it is not possible to do some of these ideas... I don't know yet :)

And to my ideas so far:

Report when done:
Adds a button to units that can be enabled or disabled (like cloak/uncloak). When enabled the unit will notify the player after it has completed its set of orderes. For example you send a construction units to build several metal extractors. When it is done it will ping the player.
I think that in addition to a map ping some kind of soud cue ("Awaiting Orders" or "Mission accomplished") should be added.
I think the option should turn itself off after the unit reports.

Smart bombing
A sort-of improved area bombing. When the command is given over an area different bombers will recive different bombing targets, allowing your group of bombers to bomb many area tergets in one fly-by through one command. (Right now it can be done if you tell all the bombers to wait, then select each and give it a course and a bombing command seperatly.
Should be similar to how the Custom Formation widget works (gives different units different destinations) only with area bomb command.
... I hope the description is clear...

Enemy Commander tracker
When the enemy Commander is detected it will put a beacon on it every 5 seconds to help keeping track of it. Old beacons will be deleted.

Enemy Superunit tracker
Same as the Commander tracker but will follow Banthas, Korgoths, Juggernauts and flagships.
Perhaps a seperate widget for flagships.
Last edited by UAF on 11 Jul 2008, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Hoi

Re: Widget ideas

Post by Hoi »

UAF wrote: Enemy Commnader tracker
When the enemy Commander is detected it will put a beacon on it every 5 seconds to help keeping track of it. Old beacons will be deleted.
this feels close to cheating for me, especially on com end games, id say no, but the rest isnt bad:)

edit: commnader? lol
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

UAF wrote: Report when done:
Adds a button to units that can be enabled or disabled (like cloak/uncloak). When enabled the unit will notify the player after it has completed its set of orderes. For example you send a construction units to build several metal extractors. When it is done it will ping the player.
I think that in addition to a map ping some kind of soud cue ("Awaiting Orders" or "Mission accomplished") should be added.
Sounds like a decent idea
UAF wrote: Smart bombing
A sort-of improved area bombing. When the command is given over an area different bombers will recive different bombing targets, allowing your group of bombers to bomb many area tergets in one fly-by through one command. (Right now it can be done if you tell all the bombers to wait, then select each and give it a course and a bombing command seperatly.
Should be similar to how the Custom Formation widget works (gives different units different destinations) only with area bomb command.
... I hope the description is clear...
Area bombing works fine for me, I use it fairly frequently.
UAF wrote: Enemy Commnader tracker
This is not necessary, as the commander has a unique radar icon.
UAF wrote: Enemy Superunit tracker
Same as the Commander tracker but will follow Banthas, Korgoths, Juggernauts and flagships.
Perhaps a seperate widget for flagships.
Krogoth also has a unique radar icon.
UAF

Post by UAF »

Well area bombing create a circle, I'm trying to figure a way to have more useful shapes or target selection methods.
This widget here refer to the same problem with a different solution.

And while commanders and Korgoths have their own radar icons, I'd still want something to draw my attention to them.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

UAF wrote:Report when done:
try this http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=902 its also implemented in many mods, when ur cons/labs are idle u see them on the bottom of ur screen. i hope this lua will help u.
UAF

Post by UAF »

Thanks, but I already know this one. What I have in mind will also work for other units, which is important (You send a group to circle the enemy, you want to know when they are in position).

Also, the bottom of my screen is used for show selection :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I would appreciate all you have listed for use with evolution.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Dont forget that a more usefull bombing mechanism would entail a rebalance of bombers in all mods..
UAF

Post by UAF »

As I see it widgets are there to save time for the player. They do what the player could do if he were to divert his attention to the subject. With a widget you can save time and brainpower on other tasks.

So I don't think it'll quite change the balance of the game.
Gota

Post by Gota »

You think wrong.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Gota wrote:You think wrong.
+1
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

UAF wrote:As I see it widgets are there to save time for the player. They do what the player could do if he were to divert his attention to the subject. With a widget you can save time and brainpower on other tasks.

So I don't think it'll quite change the balance of the game.

Please do it anyway, as *A mods are not the only games available for spring...
UAF

Post by UAF »

Considering that I don't know Lua, and the fact that the bomber widget is my last priority, you have NOTHING to worry about.
aegis

Post by aegis »

doesn't one of the unit ais report when the unit has finished its task?

Return to “Lua Scripts”