Musics!

Musics!

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Musics!

Post by LOrDo »

I know this is teh uber MTR, but I want to know if we are any closer at all to getting music in spring. I dont mean like a soundtrack, I mean a proper music player in spring. I little birdie told me that spring's LUA can play ogg's in the latest version, so thats why Im posting this in theLUA scripts forum, I have no idea if its true or not. So is anyone working on this?
0 x

Kloot
Spring Developer
Posts: 1867
Joined: 08 Oct 2006, 16:58

Re: Musics!

Post by Kloot »

From the changelog:
- Added PlaySoundStream and StopSoundStream for OggVorbis audio.
(They live in the LuaUI Spring table, the format for Play is
PlaySoundStream("file.ogg" [, volume, x, y, z]) -> nil).
0 x

User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Re: Musics!

Post by LOrDo »

So it can be done. Now I wish I knew LUA :(
0 x

User avatar
lurker
Posts: 3842
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 06:13

Re: Musics!

Post by lurker »

Does an ogg vorbis soundstream update volume and balance based on its position?
0 x

Kloot
Spring Developer
Posts: 1867
Joined: 08 Oct 2006, 16:58

Re: Musics!

Post by Kloot »

No, the position parameters are always ignored (their
presence is a leftover from my original intent to make
handling of .wav's and .ogg's transparent).
0 x

User avatar
lurker
Posts: 3842
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 06:13

Re: Musics!

Post by lurker »

Kloot wrote:No, the position parameters are always ignored (their
presence is a leftover from my original intent to make
handling of .wav's and .ogg's transparent).
Wait. You mean it's not played in worldspace at all? So any unit sounds still have to be massive .wav files?
0 x

User avatar
KDR_11k
Game Developer
Posts: 8293
Joined: 25 Jun 2006, 08:44

Re: Musics!

Post by KDR_11k »

You don't want more than one OGG running at a time anyway, decoding takes some CPU.
0 x

User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Re: Musics!

Post by LOrDo »

But my only question is...

WHO IS UP FOR THE EPIC CHALLENGE OF PUTTING MUSIC IN SPRING?!!!!!! :o



Creator of dynamic music widget gets free pie for life.
0 x

User avatar
clumsy_culhane
Posts: 370
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 10:27

Re: Musics!

Post by clumsy_culhane »

there is already one, i cbf finding it. but there is one.. do a search :P
0 x

Auswaschbar
Spring Developer
Posts: 1254
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 08:34

Re: Musics!

Post by Auswaschbar »

LOrDo wrote:
WHO IS UP FOR THE EPIC CHALLENGE OF PUTTING MUSIC IN SPRING?!!!!!! :o
Auswaschbar's guide to listen to music in spring:
1. Start audioplayer of choice
2. Generate playlist and start music
3. Play spring while listen to music 8)

May someone enlighten me what is the advantage of playing music with a widget?
0 x

ZellSF
Posts: 1187
Joined: 08 Jul 2006, 19:07

Re: Musics!

Post by ZellSF »

Auswaschbar wrote:
LOrDo wrote:
WHO IS UP FOR THE EPIC CHALLENGE OF PUTTING MUSIC IN SPRING?!!!!!! :o
Auswaschbar's guide to listen to music in spring:
1. Start audioplayer of choice
2. Generate playlist and start music
3. Play spring while listen to music 8)

May someone enlighten me what is the advantage of playing music with a widget?
Not having to do additional steps each time you start (and close) Spring?
Not having to bother with a seperate volume control?
Not having to manually change tracks for dynamic music?
Not having to alt-tab to change settings you don't have hotkeys for?

I could think of more, really.
0 x

User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Re: Musics!

Post by LOrDo »

3 advantages

1: DYNAMIC MUSIC
2: DYNAMIC MUSIC
3: DYNAMIC MUSIC

And for seriousness, you forgot about less ram use. And a proper music player in spring would spawn a soundtrack for spring, and world domination would follow.
0 x

User avatar
REVENGE
Posts: 2380
Joined: 24 Aug 2006, 06:13

Re: Musics!

Post by REVENGE »

LOrDo wrote:Creator of dynamic music widget gets free pie for life.
Dude, are you kidding me? I mean, promises for baked goods are notoriously untrustworthy these days. :roll:
0 x

User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Re: Musics!

Post by LOrDo »

Then you can get your pie uncooked :mrgreen:
0 x

User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4959
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: Musics!

Post by Beherith »

Other solution:
Most keyboards nowadays come with play/pause, volume and next/prev track buttons. These are easily mapped to any music player. Hell, even good old foobar2000 recognizes them. I use the Volume widget for spring volume, and I have volume keys on the kb for global system volume.

I have tried AFs dynamic music ai, but have found the track changes to be way too abrupt and frequent. Also, its volume drowning out all other spring sounds makes it fail :(

My only gripe with music in spring is: Can someone PLEASE fix the cant reach destination sound bug, or tell me a way to permanently delete from spring? It was one of those things that drived me mad in OTA. Now hearing it on repeat forever because an allys unit is stuck drives me off the f*cking walls.
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14636
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Musics!

Post by Forboding Angel »

mod problem, not engine problem.
0 x

Kixxe
Posts: 1547
Joined: 14 May 2005, 10:02

Re: Musics!

Post by Kixxe »

Oh the dynamic Music is working for 0.76 now?

Link please.
0 x

User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20678
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: Musics!

Post by AF »

0 x

ZellSF
Posts: 1187
Joined: 08 Jul 2006, 19:07

Re: Musics!

Post by ZellSF »

Beherith wrote:Other solution:
Most keyboards nowadays come with play/pause, volume and next/prev track buttons. These are easily mapped to any music player. Hell, even good old foobar2000 recognizes them. I use the Volume widget for spring volume, and I have volume keys on the kb for global system volume.

I have tried AFs dynamic music ai, but have found the track changes to be way too abrupt and frequent. Also, its volume drowning out all other spring sounds makes it fail :(

My only gripe with music in spring is: Can someone PLEASE fix the cant reach destination sound bug, or tell me a way to permanently delete from spring? It was one of those things that drived me mad in OTA. Now hearing it on repeat forever because an allys unit is stuck drives me off the f*cking walls.
hotkey solutions won't work you just can't easily hotkey every action, especially considering lots of key combinations are used by Spring, and considering Spring's a very mouse based game, there's lots of times when you don't even have your hands at they keyboard. That and it would be using a seperate volume control, which will be an annoyance, and would have to be started up first and closed after. That and it's not dynamic.

Sure you can do it if you want to, but it's not a solution.

I'll gladly go back to manually managing my metal makers over dealing with those inconveniences each game anyway.
0 x

User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4959
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: Musics!

Post by Beherith »

ZellSF wrote: hotkey solutions won't work you just can't easily hotkey every action, especially considering lots of key combinations are used by Spring, and considering Spring's a very mouse based game, there's lots of times when you don't even have your hands at they keyboard.
I think you misunderstood me. I have a music player app running in the background, and my keyboard has media keys that spring doesnt use. So i can control the media player while playing spring.

I dunno what kind of mouse you have, but mine only requires use of my right hand, so I always have my left hand on the keyboard.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Lua Scripts”