Request: Unit "clipboard"

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Can someone please make a widget that would just permanently show icons of units that have been marked as important somehow (preferrably through a config file) and select them if clicked on? E.g. if you mark LRPCs as such once you get one you'd have an icon saying Bertha and the number of matching units (if more than one). Important would be to allow shift-click and each click on the icon selecting a different unit of the type (cycle through them).

The purpose for me would be to have quick buttons for hero units in Gundam without having to assign a numbered group to each one as I'm already running out of numbers for those. Would also be useful for factories and such since IdleBuilders will only show the idle ones and you may want to add stuff to a running factory's queue.

Would be nice if it used buildpics instead of those swinging 3d models Unit Selection and such use as those tend to mess some models up (showing only the feet for example).
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

Doing this with IceUI wouldn't be much work.. The question is whether or not you want to use IceUI and if you don't, what is the reason.. I want to focus on things now that cause people not to use IceUI..

For your request I would suggest to make an add button that adds the selected unittype(s) to the window and a remove button but the widget would save the unittypes from one game to the next.. That way noone would have to edit config files..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The add/remove sounds nice. That should work.

As for why I'm not using IceUI: IceUI truncates the unit description while taking up huge amounts of space for the HP and resource stuff, in the default settings (at least the SVN one) it makes the buildpics tiny and hard to see and it doesn't offer enough over the regular GUI to warrant running the risk of permanently losing your UI in case of a Lua error (well, except for the ally resource bars but I use those without the rest). I think it also forces the minimap into a square which isn't desirable on non-square maps.

The color choice of white on light grey isn't good for readability, the tiny text doesn't help either.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Agreed the default alpha settings are fail and should be more like IceXuicks mockups. The small description toolbar is also annoying and is simply too small, and should be made as big as the default tooltip panel. Increasing alpha would also make it more legible. This should all be by default, I shouldnt have to enter Lua Tweak mode just to make things readable.

In the mean time I agree with KDR, something similair to supcoms side panel of groups idle builders and hero units would be very useful.
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

Thanks for that honest feedback.. I really appreciate it..

The minimap aspect ratio has been fixed in the latest version (I'm not 100% sure yet if it works in all conditions, but it should).
The tiny buildpics aren't meant for playing.. The non-SVN version has my buildmenu disabled and the default one on because I just haven't done it yet.. It was just a test if I can replace it..

I will try to improve as much of that other stuff as possible in the next releases.. And I hope you won't have anymore crashes with Lua in 0.75..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

MelTraX wrote:I will try to improve as much of that other stuff as possible in the next releases.. And I hope you won't have anymore crashes with Lua in 0.75..
It's probably nothing you can fix, if one widget goes down all widgets go down (75b1 fixes crashing Spring but not shutting Lua down with a null pointer or something) and some of my other widgets cause lua crashes.
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

Yeah, those two sentences weren't related to each other.. I will try to fix the stuff you said about IceUI..

Trepan changed some stuff in LuaUI v0.2.. Widgets are now called with a protected call function so they shouldn't be able to crash LuaUI and other widgets anymore.. We'll see if that works like it should ;)..

Return to “Lua Scripts”