Request: LUA onstart set GroupAI for commander

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Or whatever you start with...
With AF's release of his new music 1337amajig thing, this would be really sweet.
Support for multiple GroupAI's per unit would be nice to.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

How about a lua call that can play music files?
Then you don't need a GroupAI attached to a unit.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Indeed a lua call in for playing music would be good however there currently isnt one in 0.74b3 and a 0.75 release isnt popping up tomorrow morning.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that all coding decisions must
be based on what is available the next morning.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Your thinking ahead to the future, in the meantime what are we supposed todo with what we already have?

He asks for a simple widget to launch the groupAI and he gets told to rewrit the entire thing in lua in an svn build that mans he wont be able to release or use it outside fo testing untill 0.75 is released which could be weeks/months.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Actually, as I mentionned in your GroupAI thread, it's possible to do
with 0.74b3, I just don't like the method that would be used. I may
release a version for 0.74b3 if the mood strikes me.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Whatever gets music playing from the start Im happy with.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

trepan wrote:Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that all coding decisions must
be based on what is available the next morning.
See, I have issues with that as well. It never ceases to get me, planning ahead just isn't in the vocabulary these days!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

To make things clear, look at A and B.

A:
In 5 months time we'll have this that and those.

B:
In 5 months time we'll have this that and those but untill then have this.

Stopgaps, temporary fixes, nonpermanent solutions. Its all fine saying lua will have a pretty music API in 0.75, but untill then what're we supposed todo? Thats what the thread is about, requesting a stopgap untill 0.75 rolls around and more work can be done.

Lets fit a rubber band over that and we can fix it properly after we've had some rest.

Oh no we cant make the apple pie we planned ot bake, but we've got cherries, so we use those for now and make the apple pie tomorrow.

The new car you've bought wont arrive till tomorrow, but untill then have this courtesy car.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think they're saying they're getting impatient, there's so much stuff coming for 75b1 that's already in the code but it'll still be a long time until we get an official release with all that.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Its all fine saying lua will have a pretty music API in 0.75, but untill then what're we supposed todo?
Just keep complaining, it will make you feel better...
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

jcnossen wrote:
Its all fine saying lua will have a pretty music API in 0.75, but untill then what're we supposed todo?
Just keep complaining, it will make you feel better...
AF has a point, though.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

noone is going to die or lose money because they dont have music in spring tomorrow, so i find it a very weak point.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

jcnossen wrote:noone is going to die or lose money because they dont have music in spring tomorrow, so i find it a very weak point.
It is a weak point. Spring is free, Spring is for gamers by gamers. There is no profit motive, there is entertainment motive, and the developers would include everything if they could, but with no profit there is no ability to gain more people with ease and put the manpower to the task.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

I still don't get this point.
There is no way Spring a mod could get an entire ocherstral suite for free. So you will have to stick to your own music. in that case: what's wrong with your fav media player? the little memory winamp uses...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Or why not use the Windows MCI interface that media player uses that is loaded from the moment you reach the login screen?

Return to “Lua Scripts”