buildbot in SVN

buildbot in SVN

Discussion between Spring developers.
Tobi
Spring Developer

buildbot in SVN

Post by Tobi »

I want to put Spring buildbot in Spring SVN sometime (it's in a semi private SVN now).

What would be a good location for it? Is trunk/Site/buildbot fine?

(mostly directed at Tim)
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Ehh, effe denken.

I don't know, buildbot is part of the command engine website right?
If possible I would like to have al site code in trunk/Site/www-root ready to run so it can be tested in the dev. env. but that would effectively mean buildbot would move to Fnordia's server.
Any reason to keep it out of www-root?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Yes, it is not ment to be put in a www-root :P

The buildbot runs as 2 separate python daemons (master and buildslave) on it's own, there's no reason to make all configuration files and log files it generates available on the web :wink:. It does not need apache or any other standalone webserver to run.

(The trunk/Site/buildbot folder would contain just the configuration files for the master and buildslave, most other stuff is generated on first start, or are binary files that shouldn't be in SVN anyway (like extra content for installer generation))
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Tobi wrote:Yes, it is not ment to be put in a www-root :P

The buildbot runs as 2 separate python daemons (master and buildslave) on it's own, there's no reason to make all configuration files and log files it generates available on the web :wink:. It does not need apache or any other standalone webserver to run.
Compelling argument :-)
Anyway I understand but then I would like to have it in a more general directory like trunk/Site/applications/buildbot
Tobi wrote: (The trunk/Site/buildbot folder would contain just the configuration files for the master and buildslave, most other stuff is generated on first start, or are binary files that shouldn't be in SVN anyway (like extra content for installer generation))
I never had to do anything with buildbot. What I know is that it shows reports about compilation problems after each commit. Those reports would at a minimum require a dir in www-root right?
Also are you planning to commit everything needed to get buildbot running or only your configuration changes?
I like to have it so that I can do a checkout and have it (buildbot) work on my own machine as far as is possible (svn link could be a problem I guess). If a bit of binary data needs to be committed for that to work I would not mind.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Tim Blokdijk wrote: I never had to do anything with buildbot. What I know is that it shows reports about compilation problems after each commit. Those reports would at a minimum require a dir in www-root right?
No, it is it's own web server.

It it true though that the generated stuff of buildbot (test installers after every commit, doxygen pages, etc.) does need apache, but it does not really make sense to put that in the SVN www-root I think because buildbot runs on a different server.

(and I do not think it is a really good idea to put something as CPU intensive on a webserver; it is on a fileserver now)
Also are you planning to commit everything needed to get buildbot running or only your configuration changes?
Everything to get buildbot running. (That is, out of my head: scripts to initialize cross compiler environment, set SVN version in GameVersion.cpp, the configuration, makefiles to start/stop buildbot, crontab, stacktraceTranslator.php, empty dirs in which stuff will be generated, etc.)

Not everything to get all builds within buildbot running without failures. (No installercontent directory (this contains TASClient.exe, settings.exe, SelectionKeyEditor.exe, ArchiveMover.exe, the maps and the mods and other auxiliary stuff required to build an installer).
I like to have it so that I can do a checkout and have it (buildbot) work on my own machine as far as is possible (svn link could be a problem I guess). If a bit of binary data needs to be committed for that to work I would not mind.
I'll leave the binary data out, I think it's silly to disallow binary generated data in one place of the repository but to allow it in other places, when it is the exact same binary data.

Besides that, buildbot runs fine without it, just installer generation will fail.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Sorry for the late reply, Yes, lets move buildbot to svn and see how things go from there. It's not an integral part of the site but still very close. It's going to be important for us to maintain and we can rearrange the directory structure later.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

I think I'll not put this in SVN anymore, but instead publish it as a git repository sometime.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Ok, that's fine. rattle just send me a 'pm' asking if the site can be moved from trunk, he did not suggest a new dir structure but he likes it moved as it's not needed for building spring.. I think it's smart to forward this issue to you.

As for the site, the coding is done but it still needs content work (text and graphics) and for the near future I have my focus on Real Life and coding tasks for work, etc. bla. bla. So it's sitting in dry dock for now.
I will get back to it (Jan 2008), finish it up, launch it and develop it beyond that. (promise!) :-)
And everybody has read the topics - if someone is interested, doing content work is up for grabs.

Return to “Dedicated Developer Discussion”