Limiting Build Assist...

Limiting Build Assist...

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Limiting Build Assist...

Post by Fanger »

Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT FOR OTA BASED MODS SO DONT FREAK OUT

One of the things I think would be useful to add as helpful balancing tool would be the ability to limit the amount you can assist a factory... This way even given infinite resources players cannot produce a certain unit faster than a given rate, meaning that some units cannot be spammed simply because they cannot be built faster than they already are.. essentially this would work along these lines (not sure how it would in coding but this is how I visualize it)

Method One.. some tag in a building is maxworkertime=XX, where if the orginial factory workertime was 120, and maxworkertime was 240, and a con bot had a workertime of 60, then only 2 con bots could assist the factory and increase the speed of the production, because 120+60+60=240 meaining the maxworkertime has been reached and any further additional assisting will not increase the speed of production further..

Method Two.. some tag in a building is overproducerate=XX, where if the orginial factory workertime was 120, and overproducerate was 2, then switching on the overproduce rate in the GUI would change the factory workertime from 120 to 240 at the cost of using more resources... I think the first Idea is probably easier to implement.. if either is easy to implement..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Tests with nanoblobz show its impossible for a unit to be built at a rate faster than 1 every 32 frames, where there are 30 frames in a second.

The onyl time units can be built at a faster rate is with .nocost
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

They could still spam the unit by building more factories... But yes, assist should be mod-limitable. With GINTA I've opted for making all factory workertimes at least 10x the con unit workertimes.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The other way to do that is through making the builddistance low enough for most con units that they cannot "reach inside" and assist. Then their AI won't even try to.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

See what Id like to do.. is to allow people the flexibility of increasing production speed via assist or some other method if they feel they need to but limiting that, while promoting the production of more factories..
Erom

Post by Erom »

Are long as whatever system is flexible enough to be able to disable assist entirely (on the factory side, not the constructor side) then it's OK. Which of course your first option does.

The complicated part would probably be improving the con unit AI so that if it was ordered to assist a factory at it's maximum build rate the unit would recognise that it couldn't help and ignore the order.

Otherwise noobs would still tack on 50 cons, and having no feedback to indicate that was a bad idea would be bad form, IMO. I think there is probably a more elegant solution to this, but this as proposed would be OK for now.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

KDR_11k wrote:They could still spam the unit by building more factories...
Thats what we want. :P
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Perhaps you can increasing the cost the more you help :

A thing like this :

cost = cost * (all worktime / worktime of the factory)

..and you can surely make better formule wich increasing the cost expotiennaly.

edit : making something in the line of minimish metal maker...wich nobody use ...
Last edited by Torrasque on 08 Sep 2006, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
bamb

Post by bamb »

KDR_11k wrote:They could still spam the unit by building more factories... But yes, assist should be mod-limitable. With GINTA I've opted for making all factory workertimes at least 10x the con unit workertimes.
Yeah, one way to reach something like this is to make
1) con unit buildspeed very low
2) buildings fast to build
3) factory buildspeed very fast
4) units very slow to build

That way you build factories in similar time as before and units in similar time as before, but assisting with con units is hard.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Hackjob and not whats wanted. Fang wants it to not be effective after a certain number/percentage not that you have to uber spam them to be useful.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

I want it so that normally the factory produces at X.. and it is far more economical to build another factory to produce more units at that level.. but if you get in a situation where you need that AA unit and you need it now players can use con bots to increase said factories build speed by assisting.. however I want to have an upper limit to this speed so that they can never push production beyond say 5X...

I dont want to artificially gimp con assisting.. using hack job number switching.. that doesnt not accomplish what I want.. and the larger the numbers the harder it is to at a glance adjust them around...
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

I totally support implimation of this, however there needs to be some indication to the user that his or her extra builders are not helping in the production of the unit.

A good example of lack of information is around reclaimation of larger units, where technically I should not be able to use more than one unit to reclaim a certain corpse. Then again, I feel that the ability to have multireclaim should be made optional.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

Of course using this set up units would either have to no longer have the assist icon show up once the max assist rate is achieved, or have it till you via the GUI somehow..

Return to “Feature Requests”