3rd resource... - Page 2

3rd resource...

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

at least my ideas are original unlike some in this thread
Thats a representation of real life not an idea, and to say something like that is innappropriate for this discussion.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Currently the resources are VERY harcoded, with specific unit-related functions like AddMetal and such, so it will be very difficult to implement custom resources. Just changing the resource name and stuff probably wouldn't be THAT hard, but changing the number of resources... no can do.
mehere101

Post by mehere101 »

Bah, rip out its heart

Changing something that was hardcoded is the enemy. You want to rewrite it anyhow so you have have clean single purpose code.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Rewrite it so that the current system and the new system work alongside each other, then tear out the old system once the new system is finished and provide a config specifying the energy and metal resources to act as a default.
BoredJoe

Post by BoredJoe »

AF wrote:
at least my ideas are original unlike some in this thread
Thats a representation of real life not an idea, and to say something like that is innappropriate for this discussion.
Its based on real life, but nowhere near a representation of it and it's something that hasn't been used as a resource in any game i know of, which is besides the point because the gameplay based on the "acid rain" theme was entirely my idea anyway. Hell it wasn't even a serious idea because i knew it would take a lot of effort to code anyway.

My comment was lighthearted and not really referring to anything in the thread (referring to the person i quoted more than anything).

Besides all that how is it innappropriate for the discussion? Surely if you are looking for ideas for a game, you look for and encourage new ones not carbon copies of ideas from other games. Yes it will add to the gameplay but i dislike the idea of almost every sort of genre limiting themselves to a certain set of ideas to make a game - turning almost every game slowly into each other.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I dont think it was that good an idea, but really the thread should have turne dto the implementation of abstract resources instead of derailing bakc to random suggestions for what the 3rd reource should be which ultimately will never be implemented unless you do it yourself.

My comments however where mainyl directed at you going on about original dieas and whatnot, thats a negative thing, and it doesnt help anyone at all. Any attempt to rubbish what I've just said only re-inforces what is aid and proves me right as you'll be flame baiting, so please can we get back to discussing abstracting the resource system and not random hardcoded additions?
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Surely, implementing an abstract ressource system would be ideal.
There is no "it's original or not", It's the base system, Only the implementation from the modder of this system can be original or not.

But AF, I don't thing you should add "source" to the description, it's better to include thin in the unit wich produce the ressource.

And for the transition, it wouldn't be possible to change all "addMetal(x)/addEnergy(x)" to addRessource(0,x)/addRessource(1,x) etc..
And map every existing cob command like it was made with multiple weapon?
(assuming metal is always 0 and energy 1)

And we would have to rip the ressource bar to be able to have more than 2 ressource...
BoredJoe

Post by BoredJoe »

AF wrote:I dont think it was that good an idea, but really the thread should have turne dto the implementation of abstract resources instead of derailing bakc to random suggestions for what the 3rd reource should be which ultimately will never be implemented unless you do it yourself.

My comments however where mainyl directed at you going on about original dieas and whatnot, thats a negative thing, and it doesnt help anyone at all. Any attempt to rubbish what I've just said only re-inforces what is aid and proves me right as you'll be flame baiting, so please can we get back to discussing abstracting the resource system and not random hardcoded additions?
Then i wouldn't have been able to make my drug enduced post, and that makes me sad :(.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think the ressource bar could be handled by simply scaling the bars. Also I'm still thinking that ressources should be chosen visible/invisible to the user on a per-faction basis so you could have more ressources and have each faction use only a few of them (in addition to preventing players from sharing ressources that are used differently by different factions, if I were to implement a faction with fixed energy income in CvC I'd have to prevent them from getting energy donations from a cosmos player who'd have an abundance of the stuff).

Return to “Feature Requests”