Some smallish requests.

Some smallish requests.

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Some smallish requests.

Post by Argh »

Hi there, devs, etc. Yes, these are somewhat-lame but probably easy requests, aside from one of them having to do with S3O behaviors.

1. Things with hover behavior (i.e., HoverAttack=1) fly up to the defined top height of the factory that produces them before moving forwards, even if this is greater than the CruiseAlt. Please, please fix that- among other things, this causes some very weird flight behaviors in units that have taken off. This was probably put in as a hack at some point to deal with sub-unit AI problems, but after testing a bit, I've determined that it's not really necessary- units do reach their CruiseAlt fairly quickly.

2. Mobile units cannot build flying mobile units, apparantly. If somebody knows a "trick" that must be done to get around this (er, Optimus or Caydr, maybe? ), but when I made the Wolf unit actually fly in NanoBlobs, the Lord is now unable to build it properly.

3. Units with CanFly=1 seem to randomly get "tossed" around. I've been seeing some of this odd "drifting" behavior with S3Os for awhile now, but with flying things, it's pretty ridiculous, and doesn't seem to make much sense. It just seems to happen at random- and when it does, the units can drift waaaaaaaaay off the map. Basically, this looks like a fairly serious problem with S3O behavior, but it's probably a one to two-line fix.

4. Units should probably have a "MinimumSpacing" tag, that tells them to stay X distance away from other nearby friendly units. This isn't a real big deal with ground or sea units (unless we are able to apply CrushStrength to unit collisions, heh... battleship vs. destroyer = blub, blub) but it would really help flying units behave in a more natural way, and would help prevent traffic jams (which is a whole 'nother topic thread, in and of itself, but I'll probably talk about that on the AI area).

5. It appears that problems with ImpulseFactor have not been totally resolved yet. Weapons do not always obey ImpulseFactor=0. This should be relatively easy to fix, I'd think- it's probably a missing line somewhere.

6. Um... could we please, please please have S3O tristrip using a triangle-optimized algorithm, instead of a quad-optimized one? Not a minor request, but it has pretty major implications in terms of performance. The vast majority of modeling software out there is not particularily quad-friendly, and there are a lot've things that are very inefficient to model using quads only.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Nooberhack has mobile units building planes and it seems to work pretty well.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes, I've discovered that this only happens on certain maps. I'm not done investigating why yet.

Return to “Feature Requests”