Game specific springsettings

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Can we have game specific springsettings? This would solve a lot of issues when multi-gaming with spring and perhaps even reducing user confusion. Settings that work nicely in evo, might not be so great for BA, or S44, or MF, etc.

Perhaps <gameshortname>-SpringSettings.conf ?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Game specific springsettings

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

eh, lua it?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Keybinds too.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

+1
Custom game settings as well.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

This is a good idea.

Often the sane way for game devs to get consistent keys and presentation is to enforce them, but then they collide with other games.

Changing to multiple sets of settings needs some thought about how to actually implement it in a way that's easy to both devs and players.

There should still exist a centralized way to look at the settings list, maybe with priorities for each setting:
1- enforced by player
2- enforced by game (recommended)
3- engine default
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Don't worry about this for keybinds, they are already controllable entirely with lua.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Nearly all relevant spring settings too.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Google_Frog wrote:Don't worry about this for keybinds, they are already controllable entirely with lua.
Funny you should mention this. ZK's forced keybind settings are precisely why this is needed currently. Once someone has played ZK, they can't even exit normal spring games anymore.

And funnily enough, evidenced by your own massive amounts of troubles when you tried evo. Anyone who plays ZK gets their setup utterly destroyed by it. To the point to where you yourself had to isolate the evo install. Ffs.

Lua being able to access this stuff is good, but it is exactly the reason why game specific springsettings and uikeys are needed.

I refuse to write a widget to unfuck all of a user's keybinds just because they decided to try out ZK. The fact is that ZK is making a mess that needs to be seen, because this needs an engine side fix.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:Lua being able to access this stuff is good, but it is exactly the reason why game specific springsettings and uikeys are needed.
I think the best solution right now is for all games to isolate their settings and just use the shared data directory.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

That's what the rest of us try to do, but ZK comes in like a wrecking ball and destroys end user setups for any other spring game.

Just give us the ability to have specific settings and uikeys. This isn't an odd request.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I did not have keybind issues beyond issues with the default Spring keybinds. I'm fairly certain that ZK doesn't touch keybinds, it locally unbinds all keybinds when Spring starts and binds its own from a ZK config file. The unbinding and rebinding does not persist across Spring launches, uikeys.txt is untouched.
Silentwings wrote:Nearly all relevant spring settings too.
I know from experience that most engine settings cannot be changed on the fly. Many of them don't even make sense to change on the fly. Game specific springsettings makes sense, however, I have to agree that completely isolated settings makes more sense.

Return to “Feature Requests”