Accomodating No startbox choose in game

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I don't really know if this is handled by the engine or the mods, but I'm assuming that it's to do with the engine because (I think) it seems universally in mods. I'd like there to be accomodation made for a nostartbox team/ffa game mode. (to clarify, no startbox but choose start pos. in game)

The reason I put this here is that the common complaint about playing with no startboxes, is that you might start beside someone else (edit)On the enemy team(end edit). So I thought, ok, is there any way to prevent this from happening? Solution: adjusting of where people start after everyone is ready, and giving advanced warning to those who have to shift. Maybe also 5-10 seconds to place first orders(instead of the usual 3). The shifting would probably have to move both players by equal amount. Is this possible to do? It might make this way of playing more possible. I know a few people who'd love it if this was implemented.

So crossing my fingers and hoping this is an engine thing, I submit my first post! ;D

-->MasterBel2
Last edited by MasterBel2 on 26 Apr 2016, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Re: Accomodating No startbox choose in game

Post by Silentwings »

Starting a game with "choose in game" startpoint mode, and no start boxes set, already results in what you want, afaics.

With no startbox, players can attempt to place startpoints anywhere. LuaRules knows where players try to place startpoints and can accept/reject them - and warn players who try to place too close together. The game doesn't autostart until each player has selected a startpoint and readied. If the game is forcestarted, lua can spawn units at locations of its choice for players without them.

You can also already test all this with e.g. BAR.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I was more thinking of not being able to start near enemies - because that's the main problem(I think). If you start on top of eachother, then both coms die, both people imediately out of the game. Sorry I didn't make this clearer above.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

E.g. http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balates ... =4245#L286, and just don't bother checking if the two coms are on the same allyTeam.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I like the idea, however there seems to be a couple problems I can think of: People with faster computers will load in first and potentially get the better positions, also you would be able to work out where the enemy is by whether or not you can place somewhere. Other than those two, I think that would work.

That's why I suggested displacing the players after the game starts. But just thinking, that method of solving the problem has issues too, such as when someone's near the edge of the map, and when displacement puts you near someone else.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

displacing the players after the game starts
Lua already chooses where to spawn start units, "after" the game has started in gadget:GameStart - it could equally be done on any game frame.

Return to “Feature Requests”