Terrain LOD limit

Terrain LOD limit

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

aeonios

Terrain LOD limit

Post by aeonios »

I just recently made a map based around sand dunes (which I released today: http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/sea-dunes). I spent a lot of time trying to get it to look as much like this as possible:

I think I got pretty close, but in testing it something bothered me, which is that the crests of the dunes don't render as smooth curves unless you're basically zoomed in enough to count the sand grains. When zooming out it immediately starts looking choppy and gets worse with distance, especially at low (ie panoramic) angles. Mind you this is with ground LOD on the maximum setting, and the dunes have been smoothed considerably in SME, and also render as smooth curves in SME (even without FSAA).

My thought is that there's probably not much being saved performance wise from using LOD for ground geometry, especially when you consider that the microdunes render the same from any distance. Basically though, I think "max detail" should be able to look better than that. :(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Terrain LOD limit

Post by Forboding Angel »

What is your ground detail level set at?
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Forboding Angel wrote:What is your ground detail level set at?
smoth

Post by smoth »

you cannot force the lod but IIRC your personal lod can be adjusted by pressing page up or page down.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

That would be a nice addition to the shadow on/off widget.
LOD by performance- and if enough performance then max it out..
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

smoth wrote:you cannot force the lod but IIRC your personal lod can be adjusted by pressing page up or page down.
That does something weird with the camera angle. >.> I don't think the engine allows for a ground lod level over 120, either.
smoth

Post by smoth »

mine is 200 and I was incorrect, home, end should be the correct keys.
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Derp you're right, the max is 200 not 120. That'd be a spring lobby limitation then. :?

Return to “Feature Requests”