Offline Lan server creation

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Alex_cider

Post by Alex_cider »

Baisicly, I enjoy playing on the spring engine, and have recently tried introducing it to my friends. However, at my school we have limited internet access where we are able to download maps, games etc. This means we can host and play LAN games and matches on other games like Gary's mod, Minecraft, CS source etc. But we cannot connect to the central Spring hub.

This poses problems because when I then go onto the muliplayer lobby it says something along the lines of "cannot connect to server" . It then does not allow me to create a game server, because it blocks me from passing this error or bolcks me from creating a server because it has no connection to the Spring hub.

However, on other games like the ones mentioned above, you can create an offline server which can be accessed by those on your lan connection. Seeing that the Spring engine is free, and there are not fears of duplicating account names for unpaid copies ,could this be implemented and what problems would be in the way of this feature?
Alex_cider

Re: Offline Lan server creation

Post by Alex_cider »

Just to clarify, you don't need an external internet connection for this?
gajop

Post by gajop »

No, you connect to the LAN server.
Alex_cider

Post by Alex_cider »

Is there any reason that you cannot currently host a server without internet acess on the normal lobby?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Alex_cider wrote:Is there any reason that you cannot currently host a server without internet acess on the normal lobby?
"uberserver" does only work flawlessly on linux. is this a problem?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Alex_cider wrote:Is there any reason that you cannot currently host a server without internet acess on the normal lobby?
You
Do
Not
need
Internet
To
LAN
Alex_cider

Post by Alex_cider »

No, sorry, but you missunderstood my bad wording. In a seperate matter, why IS it requiered for you to have access to the spring hub.

What is it that the spring hub provides when you are connected to it that means you need to be connected to it? Are there certain data transfers requiered for setting up a game, or does the spring hub relay client information to the host?

I apologise for making my question ambiguose, but I am not asking if you need a connection for LAN
Alex_cider

Post by Alex_cider »

You said that it only runs well on linux, so I'm not sure if this would create problems if I can only run windows. Are there any known issues, or is this just speculation?
smoth

Post by smoth »

It is not required but the lobby handles stuff for you that normally would be handled in the game you are playing. Many content devs here do not like it but it doesn't exist yet. If you have the knoledge ask to hel with Lua lobby
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

If you read the instructions on the page entitled "Spring on a LAN", which I linked you too above, they tell you how to run Spring on a LAN - no external connection to anywhere else is required.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

why IS it requiered for you to have access to the spring hub.
it is required for exchanging the game setup. the spring engine itself isn't capable of setting up a multiplayer game. you could run your own lobbyserver instance, then you don't need access to the internet. lobby clients have just to point to your internal host and it should be fine.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

to be clear, you do need access to a "lobby server" but you do not need access to the Internet... what you call the "spring hub" is just a "lobby server" that is available over the Internet.

if I were to state it as a feature request it would go something like "Could a minimal server be developed such that Lobbies could implement methods to spawn an instance of it or connect to an existing instance on a local subnet or by IP address and port to make peer to peer and LAN gaming easier."
Alex_cider

Post by Alex_cider »

Cheers for the response. I guess I would have prefered an easier system to use, but this seems to work.
Alex_cider

Post by Alex_cider »

When it says to enter " SETLATESTSPRINGVERSION 96.0" into the server window, what is the server window, and on what page? (battleroom etc.)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

That looks like a server admin command, in which case you can type it into the server tab of chat.

Return to “Feature Requests”