Spring RTS + RenPy (storytelling engine) = better singleplay - Page 4

Spring RTS + RenPy (storytelling engine) = better singleplay

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

velteyn

Re: Spring RTS + RenPy (storytelling engine) = better single

Post by velteyn »

Hey !! Im not dead (not yet)

Can we collaborate ?? Im really realy interesed !!

:mrgreen:

Can you give me the code ?

Can you help me ??

Tkz
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Don't get too excited; I haven't done all that much yet. In particular, I never did get around to coding the Ren'Py/Spring communication.

Anyway, decided to just throw the files up on a Google Code SVN project. If you want to work on it, let me know your email and I'll give you project owner access.

EDIT: Okay, example startscript modification done, so that's half of the problem solved. Now it just needs a way for Spring to talk to Python.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

And now I have (admittedly crude) code for Spring to pass game stats and such back to Ren'Py. It's not always easy being as handsome as I am, but I try my best.

Well, I think that's my part done here. Code is PD, use as you like, blah blah blah. If it needs some extra functionality somehow, ask and I might add it.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Well, I think that's my part done here.
I think not ;)
At least add please it to spring wiki so it does not get lost.
And some documentary will probally lead to more people checking it out..

You have complete spring engine in the SVN.
Imo it would be better if there was only the actual "mission stuff."
The complete thing (with engine, game+map) could be in a seperate branche or example-download?
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Whole Spring engine is there for easy downloading: just checkout repo and run. Except you still need to download the Ren'Py SDK to run it, so... yeah. I might strip the non-essential stuff from it later.

Wiki! (didn't know where to put it :()
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

you said the code is PD here, the project page says it is GPL 2 (cause spring is in there? i guess not, cause it is not there as source), and the source repo/files seem to contain no license info at all.

nice work, though! :-)
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

PD is in the license field of the two widgets in the repo and in a comment at the top of script.rpy (those are the only three files that are actually mine). Yeah, project is GPL v2 because of Spring (I actually forgot whether this is a requirement for distributed binaries or only the source). (Also Ren'Py is MIT with LGPL compatibility requirement)
velteyn

Post by velteyn »

OK I have a NEW proposal ! :mrgreen:

As I see my idea did not have a good success over the years . So I want to relaunch it with a new engine.

RenPy is not good because its python , so I come here with similar engines but C++ and SDL 2

The main infos are here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NScripter

Ponscripter is SDL 2 C++ engine built upon mainly ubuntu

I believe that should be easily integrable .

http://unclemion.com/dev/projects/ponscripter/files

What do you think ?
:-)
gajop

Post by gajop »

velteyn wrote: RenPy is not good because its python , so I come here with similar engines but C++ and SDL 2
Not sure if your goal is the same as before. If it is, there's nothing wrong with Python...
If you want to embed it inside the game, just use Zero-K Mission Editor or my Scenario Editor.
Is this still related to Spring? ..update please
velteyn

Post by velteyn »

>Ah<

ok , I did not know that , I'll give it a look.

The prob. that that engine could resolve is also in mission characters chat
gajop

Post by gajop »

velteyn wrote:The prob. that that engine could resolve is also in mission characters chat
What problem? ZKME has cut scenes and SCENED has unit say and can easily be extended to support w/e.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

RenPy can startcraft style in between mission loadscreen story telling..
gajop

Post by gajop »

PicassoCT wrote:RenPy can startcraft style in between mission loadscreen story telling..
Nothing Spring/Lua/Chili can't do.
velteyn

Post by velteyn »

Absolutely sure on that! :wink:
But the fact is that RenPy or other engines can lead even non-programmers or modders the ability to obtain result quickly. This was the main reason why I made this proposal years ago.

Spring is a great engine but according to me is too shifted to programmers like you and me.. The tool chain is scaring for a non programmer. I'm sure on that because I often propose spring to my friends but too often they drop it because of the learning curve too steep. :?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

@gajop
Yeah, but the idea is to use something someone else has banged his/her head against for some time.

It would be cool if he had some non- anime starcraftish example.
And yes, this is a superior way to tell story. It forces you to portray people, while not ressorting to renders or just text-dessert.

Portraits are accepted by peoples without getting uncanny valley are definitive better then having some faceless voice drifting up from a truck.
Even Starcraft 1 had portraits for story moments. People need a face to make a person a person.

This is the cheapest way workloadwise to get faces in. And faces make storys. Not Ideologies. Not power poltics and factional squabble. Not horrendous crimes and horrors.

I noticed that as one of the great phails of my own missions. Com-chatter is not engaging enough without faces. Hell on earth knows why.

People are face-shists..
gajop

Post by gajop »

velteyn wrote:
Absolutely sure on that! :wink:
But the fact is that RenPy or other engines can lead even non-programmers or modders the ability to obtain result quickly. This was the main reason why I made this proposal years ago.

Spring is a great engine but according to me is too shifted to programmers like you and me.. The tool chain is scaring for a non programmer. I'm sure on that because I often propose spring to my friends but too often they drop it because of the learning curve too steep. :?
That's the reason ZKME and SCENED were made. They are intended to be usable by novices as well as pros. If there's some kind of story-thing you need that they don't support, you can always write some code to extend it, and that's why I said that. It's going to be easier to do that than writing a new engine or even adapting an existing one. For SCENED in particular, I can say that it was designed with extensibility in mind, so certain modifications should be relatively easy.

Return to “Feature Requests”