Allow cannons to use beam canon style texturing!

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

I would like this so I can add back in weapon trajectories arcing shots etc
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: Allow cannons to use beam canon style texturing!

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but what are you trying to do with cannons? I don't think I understand what you typed.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Play gundam look at guntank shot you will see how neat it looks now go look at you canon weapos with that ugly assed plasma ball.

I am not saying to get rid of that plasma effect, it works for certain visuals. However for the visual style I want it does not.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Oh, well then yes. Please do this. I have also had frustrations with the cannon weapon type's appearance.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. Just draw the projectile in unsynced, using a shader. See jK's ribbon trails for a reference. Should be quite possible to do this. It would mean making only smallish changes to the current synced behaviors.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, no argh.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth wrote:yeah, no argh.
^^ This
Argh

Post by Argh »

smoth

Post by smoth »

ENGINE FEATURES DO NOT NEED LUA FIX.

FIX ENGINE OR GO AWAY!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

*sigh* not this argument again.

On the one hand, I hate the use of Lua being used to render in-game stuff (not just GUI) - it seems to cause nightmares of platform incompataibilities and whatnot.

On the other hand, engine devs definitely have better things to do.

Isn't there a "draw CEG on projectile" feature now? I remember Argh demonstrating with uber-sexy missile launchers.
smoth

Post by smoth »

*my thread is not going to be derailed as I try and explain why argh's solution is inviable*

Argh's trails use an assload of particles, you have to have a slow moving particle. JK's ribbon code is bugged and I had to add a kludge to keep it from taking out lups(he is aware it is just low on his priority list). The engine should decouple weapon visual from behavior which is the actual issue here. Argh's solutions are often half baked hacks and often when you really look at it, you find that he went the really wrong way of doing things *now argh will turn thread into a personal defense of his ego*. It has been argued that I should just fix arghs code then. i am not here to clean his daipers and as much as I request he won't stay the fuck out of my threads even when i start the thread asking him politely to stay the hell out.

I was making a very clear request reminder, one the devs have heard many times over.

Some will ask but smoth why don't you make patch. I offered to years ago abstract the weapons and weapon render types but was told to not do it as such a patch was going against what they wanted to do with the engine.

So there you have it. Thread will now be derailed with argh defending his "ground breaking" code and the whole fucking thing is a repeat fiasco of why I never fucking post threads here.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

A full separation of rendering and behaviour code is the way to go, there's already a shitload of inconsistencies in weapon behaviour.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

jk was working on unifying weapon classes; presumably to that end? but he has a lot of stuff on his plate.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

I'd also like to see some progress on this problem. Also see this topic for a similar discussion:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18184
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Right then.
Argh wrote:Image
This is pretty awesome. Major props, Argh, not only for doing this, but also for using actual content to back your argument.

However, this is not what smoth wants. He wants an engine fix, so your post is effectively rendered off-topic. This isn't exactly your fault, though, because that wasn't fully clarified until later.

Situation Analysis by MidKnight! Almost as effective as marriage counseling! :P

PS: Will we ever get the source?

PPS, on topic: Unified weapon classes sound loverly! I can't wait for a 'state of things' post by an engine dev!
Argh

Post by Argh »

Argh's trails use an assload of particles
Incorrect.
you have to have a slow moving particle
Incorrect.
JK's ribbon code is bugged and I had to add a kludge to keep it from taking out lups(he is aware it is just low on his priority list)
It never occurred to you that I fixed the shader/other code when I bought ATi, eh?
The engine should decouple weapon visual from behavior which is the actual issue here.
That's a mouthful. I don't think that's realistic, tbh; instead, I'd prefer that we just used Lua and provided Lua code for the current graphics tasks, so that it gets easier to write FX. Same results in the end, but less hackish, more flexible, and ultimately a lot more powerful.
Argh's solutions are often half baked hacks
You have no idea what you're talking about.
PS: Will we ever get the source?
Whenever I get around to releasing the demo, it'll be in there with the rest of it, but probably sans documentation- I wanted to doc it all, but I don't have time any more. Been moving this week, so I've been afk, but the demo's about ready to show to some people.
Last edited by Argh on 05 Dec 2010, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

And has been for the last 2 months, I suggest you refrain from mentioning your demo and its time scales until such a time that an immediate release is possible. You are actively undermining your own efforts, destroying your credibility, and ensuring the non-usage of your work. Please desist and be productive elsewhere instead of arguing here.

In future, perhaps it would be wiser to desist from discussion and instead lead by example? After all if you are indeed correct then responding to smoth is unnecessary and a waste of your time, that would be better spent by demonstrating with hard evidence. That you have yet to learn this after years of being here merely suggests you have nothing to show and your stalling.

Indeed even a response to this post your reading right now would be utterly unnecessary, and I do hope you waste no further of my own time in replying.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Eh... it's releasable whenever I want it to be, but I'm still dealing with the last issue, and I moved this week, so I haven't had time to finish it. Probably won't get it done tomorrow night, either, as I have RL stuff I need to deal with, and the FBO thing I'm playing with really isn't trivial. It's just how it is atm- I was on a roll, and then Life smacked me around a bit just as I got to the last crunch bits.

Sorry if it makes me less credible, but the screens are all I'm willing to release until I'm happy with it and know that it's what I'm going to use in production. Then I'll be happy to release it and get tester feedback like I did with P.O.P.S.

Anyhow, this is all OT. I'm going AFK again for a few days, most likely, as my schedule's kind of nasty; feel free to rage or whatever, but honestly, I think you should read what I said (wrt using Lua/OpenGL and an open hook to projectile drawing instead of the current spaghetti mess) before doing so- I honestly think that's the way to move forward, and I could help with some of that.
Last edited by Argh on 05 Dec 2010, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Argh wrote:
you have to have a slow moving particle
Incorrect.
Yes you do argh, cegtags are only emitted every frame (makes sense amirite?). The problem is that with very fast moving projectiles, the ceg animation doesn't keep up and you get separation. and then you have to do what I have done in evo with the heavy skirmish hovertanks to make the projectile look right. Having beam cannon style texturing on plasma projectiles would be a godsend.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes you do argh, cegtags are only emitted every frame
It's not using a cegtag or any kind of particle. In fact, I don't use any CEG at all any more, but that's another topic entirely.

Return to “Feature Requests”