Mex radius changeable modside

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

To my knowledge this isn't possible currently. Hopefully I'm wrong? If I'm not, mods should be able to influence this.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Re: Mex radius changeable modside

Post by Tribulex »

i bugged some people about this and they told me why this was a bad idea and somehow they convinced me. But i forget their arguments so i invite them to post them here.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I agree it's a bad idea. Only the map author know how far away and how large metal deposits are. So only the map author know what range to set mex radius, to work with his map.

The mod should only be allowed to change the extraction rate, which it already can.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

All mods are not the same. It not like mappers always know what the hell they are doing. Ever played red river remake? And that was by someone who should have known better!

Not all mexxes in all mods are 4x4 footprint.

Not all mexxes in all mods are able to be placed correctly on the metal spots all the time (GD mexxes anyone?).

This is something that should definitely be exposed for mod control. It's not like *A would set it, so who gives a crap if it's implemented or not (except other game devs)?
Regret

Post by Regret »

zwzsg wrote:The mod should only be allowed to change the extraction rate, which it already can.
Complete non-sense.

Why can't it change when radius when it already can change extraction?

It's still incredible how moronic current hierarchy is. Game should be the artist, map the canvas.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

wow. i always though the game was the art, but the map was the ETERNAL FLAME that fucked everything up.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Honestly, if you're going to be screwing with mex radius, you should just be remaking the metal-map anyways, or replacing the metal resource model altogether. Mucking with the mex radius is a sure-fire way to get into serious trouble when you hit a map that was designed with certain gameplay in mind.

Now, I think the modder should be allowed to do it on principle, but I can't think of a case where it's ever appropriate.

Although a MexRadiusMult tag might make sense on metal extractors.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Pxtl wrote:Now, I think the modder should be allowed to do it on principle, but I can't think of a case where it's ever appropriate.
Appropriate? Spring is a RTS engine not some set of moral rules! It is to provide functionality for a game.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

If you're screwing with the game enough that you're changing the extraction radius, you probably shouldn't be trusting the metal map itself since they're intrinsically tied. That's my point. I can't think of a case where it wouldn't have some nasty unintended consequences.

But on principle, I always think the modder should have the power to make the change. I just can't think of a case where it would be a good idea.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Is it appropriate to change wind values modside?
Regret

Post by Regret »

Pxtl wrote:If you're screwing with the game enough that you're changing the extraction radius, you probably shouldn't be trusting the metal map itself since they're intrinsically tied. That's my point. I can't think of a case where it wouldn't have some nasty unintended consequences.

But on principle, I always think the modder should have the power to make the change. I just can't think of a case where it would be a good idea.
It's just saving the gamemaker the effort of having to recreate a whole new resource mechanism when there already is one available and just needs some slight adjustment for it to work better to achieve what the gamemaker wants with his game.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Spring.SetUnitMetalExtraction()?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

tl;dr but I think that allowing an extraction radius multiplier would be a good happy medium...
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

As trepan pointed out:

(from wiki)

Spring.SetUnitMetalExtraction
( number unitID, number depth [,number range] ) -> nil
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

its fine how it is
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

How about it's made mod-definable with the following variables:
1) Absolute range minimum
2) Absolute range maximum
3) Multiplier of map's default setting

4) Absolute value that's always used (mutually exclusive to 1,2,3)

Return to “Feature Requests”