Geothermal Recognition System under Metal Map (F4)

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Achilla

Post by Achilla »

What thread title says - it would be nice to be able to see geothermal spots while using the metal map in some kind of colour different from green and red, perhaps blue for free geo spot and yellow for a spot with geo building on it already producing energy. I just thought it would make searching for them much easier, without knowledge of each and every map. It's not like they are very visible atm ...

Not to mention it would quite fun to be able to define the amount of energy produced by geo spot individually, the same way as with metal patches, where intensity of colour would define amount of metal.

Now, the drawback I guess is, it could be a map-dependant change (so old maps might have to be reworked).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Geothermal Recognition System under Metal Map (F4)

Post by Forboding Angel »

Achilla wrote: Not to mention it would quite fun to be able to define the amount of energy produced by geo spot individually, the same way as with metal patches, where intensity of colour would define amount of metal.
Lolhuh? That is controlled by the unit. Using lua, I could graphically spawn an effect on the map upon which only certain units could be built. THis would achieve the exact same thing as geo spots.

In other words. Geo spots do NOTHING except spew smoke. THere is no configuration in the map for them. All they are is a marker.

However, the unit that can be built on them controls all those parameters. Perhaps you should ask your favorite mod for geovent modoptions.

For Example:
Geothermal Unitdef wrote:local unitDef = {
activateWhenBuilt = true,
buildCostEnergy = 100,
buildCostMetal = 100,
builder = false,
buildTime = 100,
category = "NOTAIR",
corpse = "ammobox",
description = "Produces 7 Energy",
energyMake = 7,
energyStorage = 0,
energyUse = 0,
explodeAs = "LARGE_BUILDINGEX",
footprintX = 4,
footprintZ = 4,
iconType = "eco",
idleAutoHeal = .5,
idleTime = 2200,
maxDamage = 500,
maxSlope = 30,
maxWaterDepth = 0,
metalStorage = 0,
objectName = "egeothermal.s3o",
ovradjust = "1",
radarDistance = 0,
selfDestructAs = "LARGE_BUILDINGEX",
sightDistance = 367,
smoothAnim = true,
threed = "1",
unitname = "egeothermal",
unitnumber = "35",
workerTime = 0,
yardMap = "oooooGGooooo",
zbuffer = "1",
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

i would give a +1 for the blue/yellow for geospots (widget anyone :) ?)
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Forb, perhaps he meant that you have different Geovents that give different amounts of Energy on the same map (ie one gives your standard output x2)? That I guess would require a quite different (engine) change than the one to show geo's on the f4 overlay though...
And of course would probably not be too difficult to do via a combination of multiple different geovent features, and using some Lua (which is, of course, the solution to everything :P).
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Well include a "duck geo" on the map side that can only be built on a specific location.
Achilla

Post by Achilla »

SeanHeron wrote:Forb, perhaps he meant that you have different Geovents that give different amounts of Energy on the same map (ie one gives your standard output x2)? That I guess would require a quite different (engine) change than the one to show geo's on the f4 overlay though...
And of course would probably not be too difficult to do via a combination of multiple different geovent features, and using some Lua (which is, of course, the solution to everything :P).
Yeah.

What I meant is that it would be cool for geothermal plants and geothermal holes work just like metal extractors and metal patches on the map, the only difference in the colour recognition and that one is for metal and the other one for energy.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

+1
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

You could have variable-power geothermal plants while maintaining backwards compatibility by just adding a new tag like "geothermalGenerator=somemultiplier;" that works like the windgen or metal extraction tag, then ignore it if energyMake has a non-zero value (so the geo would always produce energyMake energy if the tag is set).

Either way I agree that it would be nice to mark geos on the metal map. I wonder if it'd be possible to widget that...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Achilla wrote:Geothermal Recognition System under Metal Map (F4) - it would be nice to be able to see geothermal spots while using the metal map in some kind of colour
Forgot to say: Play Kernel Panic! In KP, when in metal view, geovents are highlighted in some kind of flashing color.

Attachments
kp_geoshighlight.gif
Because people tends to ignore words.
(98.01 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Return to “Feature Requests”