SPRING needs a REJOINE funktion! - Page 2

SPRING needs a REJOINE funktion!

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Re: SPRING needs a REJOINE funktion!

Post by Auswaschbar »

lurker wrote:What's the use of a permanent timeout? You can mark them as disconnected, remove them from the active users list, and then undo it if they ever come back.
  • you need to cache all the network traffic (and flush that all throught the pipes when he eventually reconnects
  • you need to make security tokens, so only the person in question reconnects
  • after reconnect, you need to wait until he catches up (otherwise game will be over until he did so)
I know this is not an argument, but: which strategy game you know does this?
0 x

lurker

Post by lurker »

• You can simply disable it if you're not recording a replay, otherwise there's your cache.
  • Aren't security tokens all the way from the lobby already being set up? But creating "this is the same computer that connected earlier, even if I'm not sure of their lobby name" tokens would be trivial, much easier than writing the code to resume from a new IP.
  • Why do you have to wait? "Delayed sync response from blah blah" Or simply don't acknowledge the reconnect ingame until their ping drops under 15 seconds.
I don't know, but I have nothing against spring doing new things.
0 x

Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Auswaschbar wrote:
lurker wrote:What's the use of a permanent timeout? You can mark them as disconnected, remove them from the active users list, and then undo it if they ever come back.
  • you need to cache all the network traffic (and flush that all throught the pipes when he eventually reconnects
  • you need to make security tokens, so only the person in question reconnects
  • after reconnect, you need to wait until he catches up (otherwise game will be over until he did so)
I know this is not an argument, but: which strategy game you know does this?
SoTS...it has the advantage of being turnbased though.
0 x

REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

The point is that the reconnection stuff that already goes on in the dark should be exposed to the user via the interface. And more importantly, the game should be automatically paused to give users time to reconnect. If they rejoin towards the end of the timeout period, they'll be synced behind by so many seconds, and not all users' machines can catch up depending on which stage of the game they're in.
0 x

YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

If we do enable reconnect (or joining a running game, say as a spectator), I also want to be able to join using the same player ID (ie to coop with someone playing).
0 x

ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

It will keep sending packets during this time. If the connection is fixed during that time, you can continue playing. (providing your public WAN IP did not change).[/quote]

so if I time out on spring and the game closes then I click repair and then drag the script.txt onto the spring.exe or whatever it is you do.. would i still be able to carry on playing or what I don't get it pls explain
0 x

knorke

Post by knorke »

so if I time out on spring and the game closes then I click repair and then drag the script.txt onto the spring.exe or whatever it is you do.. would i still be able to carry on playing or what I don't get it pls explain
if you crash during loading (from alt-tab or whatever) you can reconnect this way. it also works if you could not connect but the other players have not yet started and are still choosing startpositions.
just drag script.txt on spring.exe.

I dont think it already works when the game is actually started, at least not for me. Basicly its just faster than "olol rehost."
0 x

Blue_Falcon

Post by Blue_Falcon »

I have a similar idea - I think that people should be able to join running games and start specing in the middle of the game. Would this be too difficult to implement?
0 x

Return to “Feature Requests”