Forgetful targeting

Forgetful targeting

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Forgetful targeting

Post by smoth »

Ok, here is the thing, it is cool and all that unit can continue to fire on something after it has been seen. However, it is unwanted in my project and I know other projects love it.

Is it possible that a toggle could be added to allow units to forget a target once it is not in LOS. It would mean that the units would not continue to target after they loose sight of it.

It may seem odd but I do not like the units auto blind firing at targets.
lurker

Re: Forgetful targeting

Post by lurker »

I think this is best done as a timeout for how long a unit will keep something targetted that is out of LOS and radar. For most units a setting of 3-5 seconds would probably work well. Because honestly, being able to track a unit's vague position forever is a bug.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

There is already a timeout IIRC, it's set to 2 or 3 minutes tho IIRC.
So probably just needs to be made configurable.

EDIT: hmm not sure it's the same thing tho, what I recall is the timeout until e.g. manual attack order on a unit gets dropped after that unit was last seen. I do not know how the weapon code works, it might still keep firing at that unit after that, if the unit is in range.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I remember in OTA you'd build an MT, and run a weasel over to the enemy commander, then target the commander with your MT, so that you'd always have a compass pointing directly at the enemy commander...
lurker

Post by lurker »

Two MT is far better.
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

rather than have it 'know' the position of units outside its LOS, it could guess/extrapolate it's position based on its last known location and speed, so it can still give chase to units that have left its LOS
smoth

Post by smoth »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:I remember in OTA you'd build an MT, and run a weasel over to the enemy commander, then target the commander with your MT, so that you'd always have a compass pointing directly at the enemy commander...
this isn't about mimmicking OTA, I always thought that was a STUPID thing to carry over to this engine. I just want an option to turn this off.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I know smoth, I was just musing :P
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Conversely wouldn't it make just as much sense for a tag for the targeted unit to have so that anytime it wasn't in a shooter's LOS it couldn't be aimed at. At the least using a spotter should be akin to the varying levels of accuracy from radar. If you want unerring accuracy then you best move within LOS.
smoth

Post by smoth »

for unerring radar you would place the istargetingupgrade on some unit and when it is built the radar blips are not moving around away from the unit.

Return to “Feature Requests”