First Person View Improvements + Suggestion

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

ruhtraeel

Post by ruhtraeel »

Hi, I'm a huge fan of this game, and I would like to request 2 things.

1. The First Person View right now is sort of confusing, with quite strange controls, and a shaky viewpoint. I was wondering if they could switch it similar an FPS, with strafing (WASD) and looking(mouse) for kbots, and an accelerate/decelerate (W and S) for planes, and pitch left/right (A and D), with the mouse controlling the direction the nose is pointing, like a kbot looks around. The right click could be used for vertical jets for the gunship, so that they can stay in one place and fire. Also, maybe some units can see farther than others? Maybe also a zoom and an ability button, such as cloak, etc. Firing is quite awkward, because the screen twitches every time something is fired. You could have a constant shake upwards, or a smaller shake for slower weapons.

2. A Game Editor, such as being able to create custom games, like in Starcraft, with turret defence, etc. Also the ability to change how fast the unit walks, fires, the range of the weapon, damage, etc.

Thanks!
smoth

Re: First Person View Improvements + Suggestion

Post by smoth »

ruhtraeel wrote: 2. A Game Editor, such as being able to create custom games, like in Starcraft, with turret defence, etc. Also the ability to change how fast the unit walks, fires, the range of the weapon, damage, etc.
That is a huge request, you have no idea how many tags exist in spring units that control behavior.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Then again you can just make your own mod, no need for such an editor.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Un-FPSed units can't strafe or move backwards. Giving them this ability when FPSed would make FPSing too much more powerful.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

... not to mention that units have no animations for moving sidewards, so it would look stupid from outside.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

How do you explain units looking left/right and moving forwards/backwards?

Just let the unti flag that ti can move sideways and then make the engine or lua force the unit to turn while aiming the intended direction and hey presto you've got sideways walking.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

AF wrote:How do you explain units looking left/right and moving forwards/backwards?

Just let the unti flag that ti can move sideways and then make the engine or lua force the unit to turn while aiming the intended direction and hey presto you've got sideways walking.
0.63b1 wrote:-Added new fbi tags WeaponMainDir<1-16> and MaxAngleDif<1-16>. WeaponMainDir is a vector and defines the center direction of a cone in which the weapon can aim while MaxAngleDif defines how broad the cone is. Default WeaponMainDir = 0 0 1; (forward) and MaxAngleDif=360; (can fire everywhere)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

lol you misinterpreted me gnome, my point being that all lua has to do is bind a strafe key to the action of turning 90* and looking -90* so that your moving to the side and looking in the same direction. With a little extra lua trickery you can customize the animation and hey presto you've got full blown strafing

Or you can implement real strafing in lua
smoth

Post by smoth »

hoijui wrote:... not to mention that units have no animations for moving sidewards, so it would look stupid from outside.
no it wouldn't. Have you played mechassault? you merely treat the top half as is and straifing is done by telling the unit it is moving left or right but aimed forward, if anything it so easy to do and hackish I just just don't know what to say.

Now stepping backwards yeah that is trickier but if the unit has a limited firearc that should determine the vectors allowed for the unit. Even more interesting we could as for a get to determine move direction and add in walk backwards animations. No biggie.

The big thing that sucks is that I don't know if we will ever see this added to unit behavior so it could walk backwards while shooting instead of being twisted 180 to fire behind it's self. It would be neat to have a tag to determine the horizontal arc that a unit can move forward within, so humans would have something like a 90 and something from battletech would generally have 180-270~. I don't know, this is all probably incoherent coool, compile is done, laters.
ruhtraeel

Post by ruhtraeel »

Google_Frog wrote:Un-FPSed units can't strafe or move backwards. Giving them this ability when FPSed would make FPSing too much more powerful.
It would make FPSing more powerful, but keep in mind that you are only in control of one unit when you are in FPS mode, which balances it with the disadvatages. FPS mode is sorta useless right now :-p

So uh, would it be possible? This would be awesome!
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I hate the current FPS abuses problems already (extra range)... I vote no :/
ruhtraeel

Post by ruhtraeel »

ZellSF wrote:I hate the current FPS abuses problems already (extra range)... I vote no :/
Fine, the units can still have shorter range. I still want the movement to be fixed though.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Personally I think that there should be extra advantages from going to FPS mode. The extra range is one, but I'd be all for allowing more FPSish movement and agility, to let a good FPS player get an advantage by putting the time commitment into a unit like that.

At the moment, moving is really clumsy, you can get better results by clicking from RTS view. Imagine taking an AK or Zipper into quake-mode FPS movement. Would be fun.

After all, you can't do anything else while you're in there which is a huge disadvantage all in all.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Controlling just one unit isn't as much a disadvantage as you think and giving FPS players any advantage whatsoever in a strategy game seems silly.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i think that the FPS-er should be able to give buffs to nearby units, in a somewhat "hero" idea. smaller unit--smaller buff
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Zoy64 wrote:i think that the FPS-er should be able to give buffs to nearby units, in a somewhat "hero" idea. smaller unit--smaller buff
That's mod specific.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

oh
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

And also probably possible in lua already
ThaMax

Post by ThaMax »

hi there,

the option of changing mouse movements is a good idea, now up is down and down is up :S

or is there a way to change this allready??

Code: Select all

function widget:TweakMouseMove(x, y, dx, dy, button)
--  print('TWEAK (TweakMouseMove) '..x..' '..y..' '..dx..' '..dy..' '..button)
  if (not widgetHandler:IsMouseOwner()) then
    return false
  end

local vsx,vsy = widgetHandler:GetViewSizes()
  if (button == 1) then
    if ((xmin + dx) < 0) then dx = - xmin end
    if ((ymin + dy) < 0) then dy = - ymin end
    if ((xmax + dx) > vsx) then dx = vsx - xmax end
    if ((ymax + dy) > vsy) then dy = vsy - ymax end
    xmin = xmin + dx
    xmax = xmax + dx
    ymin = ymin + dy
    ymax = ymax + dy
    SendUpdate()
  elseif (button == 3) then
    if (xside == -1) then