Pathing the map while waiting on the battleroom?

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Would it be possible to make the client start pathing the map when you are just waiting there and wasting valuable CPU time?

Games would start much faster when everyone has already pathed.

Would be also great that you could continue the pathing you started. So if you start pathing, but dont finish it, the spring could continue it from where the client left it.
Pendrokar

Re: Pathing the map while waiting on the battleroom?

Post by Pendrokar »

The pathing is skipped if you are running a map second time in a row. Must be saved in the memory. :roll:
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Tell me more. D'oh.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Just run spring.exe and select the same map and mod while you're sitting in the battle room, that does exactly what you're requesting.
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

Pendrokar wrote:The pathing is skipped if you are running a map second time in a row. Must be saved in the memory. :roll:
Why do you think that posts are really just for a user that posted?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Peet wrote:Just run spring.exe and select the same map and mod while you're sitting in the battle room, that does exactly what you're requesting.
Yeah im doing that sometimes, but usually im just too lazy to do that. it would be nice to have quick thing for it, like a button to launch spring.exe and path.

And what happens when the game starts and my spring.exe is still running?
Pendrokar wrote:Why do you think that posts are really just for a user that posted?
Because thats only thing what i can expect, unless you point it out that you dont reply to my message.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Bad suggestion, imo. People can quite easily run Spring to path and so what if you get a slightly faster loading time? You'll still have to wait for the other players, and the other players will wait for you.

Lobby client developers probably have way more important things to worry about anyway.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

dude, the suggestion isnt bad, people cant quite easily run spring, it takes so many clicks to make it happen, which why we need automation for this... like i said before: a button in the client: "path this map while im sitting on my lazy ass here"

For some people it can take minutes to path some map, while others are waiting and waiting. and after all that shit that slow dude gets sync error (this actually happened once).
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

ZellSF wrote:Lobby client developers probably have way more important things to worry about anyway.
Very true, nor am I very fond of this idea.

That aside, there is currently no way i know of that would enable the lobby to just have the enigne path a map/mod combination and then return.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

>For some people it can take minutes to path some map, while others are waiting and waiting. and after all that shit that slow dude gets sync error (this actually happened once).
There are always people who will disable this function, especially the ones who takes long time to path, because they don't want to render their computer unusable while waiting for a game that might never start. So you will wait for people pathing in any scenario, why ask lobby devs (and judging by your posts, engine devs) to waste developing time for this?

If anything, write down how the slow dude gets sync error and try to convince the engine devs to fix that.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

koshi wrote: That aside, there is currently no way i know of that would enable the lobby to just have the enigne path a map/mod combination and then return.
There's a commandline argument to make the game stop after 1 second (or any amount of time actually). This has effect that you can load a game just for pathing that immediately quits, but of course it also does all other loading which is a bit useless.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

and initiates gui i assume?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Yes that's one of the problems with it. Though maybe the setting to start minimized helps against that, though it could be it will only minimize after loading, making it a bit pointless in this case.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The problem with that though is that if the game start while that's pathing it screws up, so it will require both a bit of engine changes and lobby changes, especially if he wants to continue the pathing between lobby and engine like he said.

IMO, that just sounds like a whole lot of wasted effort that would benefit so very few.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

it would make this game look more professional work at least 8)
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Sheesh, the guy is just asking for an option to compute pathing in the battleroom. There is probably a way to integrate the existing code in the battleroom AND to do this without affecting people whom do not want it. A simple button click for people that do want it would save slow loading players heaps of trouble at the start of a game. You then would not have to run the game to do this simple chore. For you guys that don't want it there is zero reason to complain; you do not have to use it.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

If the person requesting the feature were also providing the patch there would be no discussion at all.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

that would be worth a big red mark in my calendar indeed
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

TradeMark wrote:it would make this game look more professional work at least 8)
Note that most professional games do not do loading until they're actually loading the game. So your statement is very confusing.
Sheesh, the guy is just asking for an option to compute pathing in the battleroom. There is probably a way to integrate the existing code in the battleroom AND to do this without affecting people whom do not want it. A simple button click for people that do want it would save slow loading players heaps of trouble at the start of a game. You then would not have to run the game to do this simple chore. For you guys that don't want it there is zero reason to complain; you do not have to use it.
Well his request involves altering lobby and engine code, for practically no advantage whatsoever. I like complaining when people want to waste lots of effort for nothing, there is zero reason to complain about my complaining; you do not have to read it.

Also, agree with LordMatt.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I provided the means to trademark. I told him what tobi said. I gave him a very simple task. Figure out what the tag is called and Ill implement it.

So far nobody has offered up the name of the tag.

Return to “Feature Requests”