UnitSelection showing a little Holo for Size comparison

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

If you select "Oversized" Units (like Krogs, Gundams etc.) wouldn´t it be cool, if on the Selection Marker (that Green Circle, Retangle, whatsoever) a little green humansized Hologram appeared, just to show off how very big this Fellow is..

Of course it should only appear if a single Unit is selected... no Use having a "hundreds-of-human-Holos-in-my-Tankarmy" Effect

Not my Picture just to help Imagine it...

[Krogoth86]

Re: UnitSelection showing a little Holo for Size comparison

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Well at first there is question "Why?". The next thing would be that there already are size measurements on many map called "Trees"... :wink:

And finally as this is a pretty much useless request in terms of importance to the engine go ahead with LUA. You already might have some sources for this - just have a look at that unit highlighter widget and try to flip the drawn image by 90° and only make it visibile when there is a selection of such a unit...
manored

Post by manored »

Ya I dont see much use on this. Moders could make their human holograms be really small just to make their stuff look bigger :) Better to have some small unit be the size measurement, such as the peewee/ak on TA based mods...
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

It is just - the whol Springstuff (maybee except Gundam) lacks the Supersized feeling it should have..i would prefer fleeing civilians or deers, but a hologram would be easy to fit in and fullfill the same purpose.

Bad Example but gives a Idea what i miss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-STCZrKq0
I miss this "stomp", this KingKong and not Plastic/TinToy - sorry if this is unnessesary, but i think just the psychological effect could make spring pretty positiv to remember & return, without much effect coding.. -

I mean, we come close to, but can´t completely compete on graphical Terms whit comercial titles, so why not use some tricks&freudianworkarounds to make the players "feel" elated
manored

Post by manored »

You wanna a "Shadow of the colossuss" like fell on spring then? :)

I guess that could be done, to start with, with pufs of smoke, craters being formed and BOOMS where big units steped... :)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Exactly Manored,

i dream of bumpmapped Footsteps, great Unjts who die and fall into groups of smaller Units & squeezing them to death.
Fat Fellows Remains should be able to roll down hills, creating Scrap Avalanches..
and they should have Accidents, like kicking little Tanks or Flashes while walking in the Croud - or just slip out on a Vehicle, as if it was a Banana or lieing around Rollerskates.

Anything to have the "Shadow of Collosus" feeling.. at least Screenshaking.. - or Jurrasicpark Waterribbles..
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

PicassoCT wrote:or just slip out on a Vehicle, as if it was a Banana or lieing around Rollerskates.
lol
Argh

Post by Argh »

great Unjts who die and fall into groups of smaller Units & squeezing them to death.
That part there is completely practical, it's mainly just a matter of animation and some clever coding. That, and having a giant mecha worth spending that amount of time on...
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

The jeffy is the size of a truck and it's one of the smallest units.
manored

Post by manored »

Google_Frog wrote:The jeffy is the size of a truck and it's one of the smallest units.
Still, very few units are actual big or tall enough to step on it... I think that none under tech 3 :) (Vehicles dont step and due to their shape they cant topple over either)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Is this tree the size of a child, a house, or a small sky scraper?

Trees are not a valid arguement unless you have other objects with more consistent sizes to compare them against such as buildings with clearly visible doors and windows.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Af wrote:

The Truth

Are those Bonsais or Mamothtrees? And when a Pewee is bigger then a Truck.. why doesen´t he even leave a scratch on the ground, when thrown away by a Explosion..

Just imagine Smoths Houses, which had the correct size, and the odd discussion that followed about "true" size relations afterwards. The Truth was that everybody had his own Sizecomparison in mind - now we could have buildings in every Map (not many because the Game otherwise slows down :cry: :cry: ) or some other Size reminder, for example : fleeing deer or civilians

Now asuming that we should take the option taking away the lowest Cpu-usage -> I recommend the little Humansized Holo..

PS: Another cool thing would be Giant-Units-Footsteps that fill with water over time - on grassy-ground..
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I actually took those humanoid raider bots in CA as the size of an average human... only because they make it look like to. But they also make the rest of the weaponry look very small :?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A peewee may be the size of a truck in OTA but once you move beyond core contingency into AA/BA/CA/etc that tidbit of information becomes somewhat meaningless and you have to ask the modder.

Simply put there is no size of a peewee unless you append a modname to the end, and it could vary wildly. In the end the user has no way of knowing how real world objects map onto the game world in terms of scale. That gigantic unit may barely fit in a paddling pool or that flea may be taller than your house.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Another Idea would be Ejectpods in humansize from big Units... they shouldn´t need any purpose or collission, just a Effect to show the Scale.

PS: Pure, S44, Starwars & Gundam wouldn´t need that- gundam already has "civilian" buildings with Cars in Front - Pure little Soldiers make Scale comparison unessesary - and s44&starwar have also enough infantry deployed which show the scale..
manored

Post by manored »

I think the best way to give a "epic size" fell to a game is to have a large size diferency between units instead of a comparsion to real world objects. Like having size references on the map would give you a idea of how big the unit is literally, but wouldnt really give that epic fell. Now if there was a really small unit and a really big unit, both that you could interact with, then we would have that epic size fell. Just look to Black and White, where creatures were born with the height of around3 humans and grew up to the size of mountains, with their size altering how they interacted with the world, such as, for example, a big creature damaging a house then it sited too close... now, that was epic :)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

True, however, in most Springmods small Units are rather Useless against the BigOnze - so they never appear for Size&Scalecompare simply because they are way to fast blasted..
only when the end is near, ressources drain,
the pewee reappears, to clash into invain..
manored

Post by manored »

Well not really, In CA all units are usefull in the whole game, and some of the biggest units a viable since the very start. Ca doesnt have enough size differences for epicness tough :)
lurker

Post by lurker »

AF wrote:Simply put there is no size of a peewee unless you append a modname to the end, and it could vary wildly.
What? Name a mod that doesn't have TA scale for its T1 peewees.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Make maps with real-world features for reference - houses, buildings, etc.

Return to “Feature Requests”