Ghosted features & Radar Dots for Seismic Detectors

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

I'd like to present two requests:

1.)
Well what the thread name says: I'd like to give features like DTs for example the ability to react just like ghosted buildings. That way you don't have to "draw" them on the map to give the info to your teammates as to where are DT walls...

Currently there only is a permanent feature visibility and a visibility when having LoS on it (at least I don't know of another)...

2.)
It would be nice if the engine feature of what's used for the "Seismic Detector" in TA mods would alternatively spawn radar dots instead of those circles you might not even notice. This might be important especially for games where some strong "invisible" units exist and you don't want to lose because they slipped through because you didn't pay attention and didn't tell your turrets where to fire...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Ghosted features & Radar Dots for Seismic Detectors

Post by KDR_11k »

The second part would be extending the radar system, I don't think the seismic system should be changed. Multiple detectors are a good idea IMO but in the absense of such a system you can probably draw a marker with Lua when a hidden unit gets near a detector, wouldn't be able to aim at the thing though (unless it's like the Fibre beacon, an actual unit that just hides itself and follows the thing it marks...)
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Well that's why I asked for just the alternative to have radar dots instead of those ring-FX. This should be done via another FBI tag or something...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

[Krogoth86] wrote:Well that's why I asked for just the alternative to have radar dots instead of those ring-FX. This should be done via another FBI tag or something...
It's not comparable, seismic responds to events (unit moving or causing a signal via script), it does not track unit positions. To make it track them yopu'd have to implement radar logic for the detectors instead.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I'd rather keep the varied detectors as different as possible. If you want seismic detector to behave like radar, just use radar signatures instead of seismic pings.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Well currently you can't make something visible to one type of radar and not another but I don't think the solution is to butcher the seismic detector.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

What about this:

Just like the widget that places labels the moment you spot a nuke/antinuke, a widget that places labels on seismic pings. Might be messy but you can't know until it's tried. And it makes more sense since you aren't tracking a moving unit on radar, just receiving pings at certain spots. What do you guys think?
zwARREN69

Post by zwARREN69 »

LUA script seems like a viable solution.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

What the engine needs is different detection layers that can be defined per mod. The you could assign units to be visible to layers of your choice , assign jammers to certain layers and control how the layer is displayed(radar bleep, seismic circle...).
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

What we need is an abstraction of the sensor system, modders define their own sensor types, pick which behaviors they want said sensor types to have, and assign the sensors to certain units.

In other words the sensor system should resemble the CEG system.

Return to “Feature Requests”