Game ends if all commanders on team are dead

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

pintle

Post by pintle »

neddiedrow wrote:
pintle wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:Maybe there's a need for "team only dies if all its coms are gone" gadget...
That would be awesome, worth me posting over in feature requests about it?
Yes.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Re: Game ends if all commanders on team are dead

Post by trepan »

CommEnds game mode?

Or do you mean that a 'team' only dies if all
commanders in its 'allyteam' are dead? For
that you could use LuaRules to give each team
a hidden unit at the beginning of the game to
make sure that it doesn't die, and have LuaRules
kill the hidden units when a team really should
die.

Probably easiest to setup without the hidden
units, and create a "AllyTeam CommEnds" entry
in the ModOptions.lua file. The only difference
is that if a team member loses all units before
an ally shares a unit with them, they're out.
manored

Post by manored »

He means a variation of com ends where instead of a player automatically dying then he loses his com his whole team must lose their coms for anything to happen, in wich case the whole team would die.
lurker

Post by lurker »

That's exactly what trepan gave instructions for...
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

The lobby has 3 options now

Continues, Ends, Lineage.

IMO Ends should just be lineage, and a third option should be the mode pintle is suggesting.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I think all these things (com ends/continues/lineage, ghosted buildings, limited dgun, diminishing mmkr's) should eventually be implemented with lua mod options, rather than options specific to ta-style gameplay hardcoded into the engine and lobby.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Peet wrote:I think all these things (com ends/continues/lineage, ghosted buildings, limited dgun, diminishing mmkr's) should eventually be implemented with lua mod options, rather than options specific to ta-style gameplay hardcoded into the engine and lobby.
I don't really see how the com dies and ghosted buildings options are TA-specific.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Well com ends is (a number of mods don't have unique commanders)...but not ghosted buildings, I was mindlessly listing off the battle options <_<
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Can you apply the "comm" tag from Lua? If so, the distinction between ends/not ends could be a Lua thing - the mod could have a script that goes through and applies the "comm" flag to every unit in the mod if "game continues" is selected. In that case, the only option would be choosing between "allied defeat" and "lineage".

Wouldnt' having every unit being a comm be the same effect as "continues"? Alternately, no unit being a comm.

But yeah, ghosting is definitely a feature that could stay.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Peet wrote:Well com ends is (a number of mods don't have unique commanders)...but not ghosted buildings, I was mindlessly listing off the battle options <_<
I think most non-TA spring games, and many other rts games, have commander units.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

NOiZE wrote:The lobby has 3 options now

Continues, Ends, Lineage.

IMO Ends should just be lineage, and a third option should be the mode pintle is suggesting.
+1
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

lurker wrote:
Peet wrote:Well com ends is (a number of mods don't have unique commanders)...but not ghosted buildings, I was mindlessly listing off the battle options <_<
I think most non-TA spring games, and many other rts games, have commander units.
But they are rarely unreplaceable, usually just a HQ building that you could build multiple times if you really wanted to pay for that.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

lurker wrote:
Peet wrote:I think all these things (com ends/continues/lineage, ghosted buildings, limited dgun, diminishing mmkr's) should eventually be implemented with lua mod options, rather than options specific to ta-style gameplay hardcoded into the engine and lobby.
I don't really see how the com dies and ghosted buildings options are TA-specific.
even if they are not TA-specific i'd say to move them to lua options anyway, for the sake of flexibility, so the modder has the chance to disable them if his project is designed with a certain option set to a fixed value
pintle

Post by pintle »

Hypothetically, couldn't this allow a team to start with a bunch of weak, unarmed "commanders" which they had to shepherd around the map while trying to kill the enemies equivalent units?

Im obviously not expecting somebody to leap up and make a mod around this gameplay, but the idea just occurred to me: "defend the convoy/massacre the hapless scientists" type missions etc would be extremely cool.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Ghosted buildings and locked game speed are pretty global things but com ends, DGun limit and diminishing MMs don't really fit.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

I guess both would be a good candidate to remove from the engine altogether; they should be pretty trivial to do using LuaRules / mod options, and I don't have the impression diminishing MM returns is actually used much anyway.
manored

Post by manored »

I never saw diminishing mm return being used...
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I want game end if only one commander of your team die :)
manored

Post by manored »

Go play com ends in 1vs1 then! :)

Its already irritating enough to lose because of the failure of an ally, altough everone fails sometime: no one would want to play with that fact made MUCH worse :)
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Similarly, why do we force players to stop playing if they lose all their units? Why can't I stay "alive" and wait for my teammate to give me some? There's no reason for this, and it's rather stupid having to quickly give a dying teammate a wind generator so you don't permanently lose a player.

Return to “Feature Requests”