Rotate, stackable, footprint, collision

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

kiki

Post by kiki »

These are some requests that I have that are very important to me:

* Unit selections rotate with the unit, with ability to specify a unit to turn around (broadside attack etc.) (<<<LUA?)

* Units can be on top of each other, with dynamic space requirements (a long-legged bot could have small bots underneath it, able to pass underneath it

* Rotatable feature footprint, rotating footprint for units that is maybe not always square. This would fix the problems with long units and allow for longer units to work better.

*Custom collision shapes. Need I say more?

I would really appreciate any comments on how this applies to lua etc., and if it is already feasible and I dont know it.

Thanks for taking a look.
lurker

Re: Rotate, stackable, footprint, collision

Post by lurker »

* Unit selections rotate with the unit, with ability to specify a unit to turn around (broadside attack etc.) (<<<LUA?)
What are you talking about? Formations or something?

* Units can be on top of each other, with dynamic space requirements (a long-legged bot could have small bots underneath it, able to pass underneath it
You might be able to do that with a 0x0 footprint, if you give it a normal movetype. (is movetype the term? meh, too lazy to check)

* Rotatable feature footprint, rotating footprint for units that is maybe not always square. This would fix the problems with long units and allow for longer units to work better.
It basically requires massive changes to the pathing engine. *shudder*

kloot is working on this. (I think it was kloot)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

0x0 footprints cause amusing issues such as projectiles going right through the unit's hitsphere.
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

lbctech wrote: * Units can be on top of each other, with dynamic space requirements (a long-legged bot could have small bots underneath it, able to pass underneath it

The second is the answer to the first!! Otherwise Collision spheres would need to be added to that long-legged bots legs!
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Pendrokar wrote:
lbctech wrote: * Units can be on top of each other, with dynamic space requirements (a long-legged bot could have small bots underneath it, able to pass underneath it

The second is the answer to the first!! Otherwise Collision spheres would need to be added to that long-legged bots legs!
Nope, hitspheres and footprints are entirely separate.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You can use Spring.SetUnitBlocking(unitId, false) to make it possible to walk through a unit. Multiple collision levels won't happen soon because the blocking map is 2D.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Basically, Im whining for a 3d dynamic collision map. Pretty much something that matches a unit's model exactly, including the animated and moving parts. However, even a 2d one that is dynamic would be useful. If such a thing would be possible, the current paths engine should be tested with it. I am not 100% what kind of algorithm is used, but from skimming the code, i would imagine that this would (almost) work smoothly. The reason for a dynamic collision map is that legs move. However, on this point, can a collision map have basically this shape (looking down):

Code: Select all

Front
  ###     ###
  ###     ###
  ###     ###
  ###     ###
  ###     ###
where the #'s are where collisions can occur. Basically, there are two blocked areas, where the legs would be (think 6-legged insect or whatever comes to mind, monkeylord). Units could be underneath in the area between the legs. Is this 2d collision map that kdr speaks of the footprint? If so, then for pathing, just making footprints that have holes in them would treat the big units with holes in its footprint as a solid footprint, and other units would treat the footprint as two separate entities. In order for this to work, though, footprints would need to rotate with the unit. I dont care if footprints have to be rectangles (that much), they could be ellipses for all i care (is this a solution?). They have to rotate with the unit as the unit turns. This would fix the long ship problem.

Iirc I may have seen a post or a demo of those custom hitspheres. Is this a patch? If a unit had no footprint (does this work with the pathing?), and it could have multiple hitsperes, these could be scripted to follow the animation of a unit, and essentially achieve the dynamic 3d collision map of which I spoke earlier. Multiple hitspheres would also partly eliminate the need for custom hitsphere shapes, as you could just make a similar effect with lots of hit spheres. Multiple hitspheres does not sound like a hard solution. In fact, it is probably the easiest way to change the engine to do what I want.

Finally, a big thing that bothers me is that features that can be built need to have a rotatable footprint (when [ and ] are used). This eliminates the need for "ns walls" and "ew walls". A long wall could be just one unit that could be rotated to do what you want. My personal solution to this is to make square wall segments like in TA, but other people do not like this, and when I use mods that have long walls and I rotate them by accident, I have strange pathing issues (with the unrotated footprint with nothing there) and units going through walls.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What you want would require a pathfinder rewrite of epic proportions. Unless your willing to provide the manpower to do it, this is a dream.
kiki

Post by kiki »

There are a few things I mentioned that I think are very much feasible. When I get the courage to bury myself in the code, Ill give it a shot. Dont shoot me AF.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I had the exact same thoughts as you when I first saw the problem you describe. But the problem with proper collision boxes is, as I understand it, "what happens when a 1x10 unit enters a 1x500 tunnel". It can't turn around. There's no practical solution so I don't think it makes sense to worry about something like that right now.

I think nonsquare footprints would be nice in some kind of fantasy world, but real hitboxes are the holy grail right now. AFAIK no game of any genre has done a proper implementation of nonsquare footprints. You see it in FPSs all the time, your gun goes right through the wall... there's no practical solution besides not allowing you to turn when you're going to clip - which would suck - or making a 1x10 unit have a 10x10 footprint. There's no reason to do things differently or think that we can be heroes and invent a way to do this when the entire games industry for the last 10 years has been struggling with the problem and hasn't come up with a solution.

On the other hand, every game since Quake or something has had proper hitboxes, so now in 2008 I think it's not a stretch to say it's common technology that this engine should have had a long time ago.

Collision spheres are OK. I'm playing with them in GEM - where 1x10 ships are common - and it's not such a big deal. In the real world you wouldn't pack your tanks or ships or boats or whatever so close together than they couldn't turn in an emergency... it would be like how they would shoot the first and last tank in a column during WWII and then pick off the survivors at their leisure.

It doesn't make sense from a game or real-world standpoint, so there's no reason to waste time on a feature that if it was working perfectly would for a certainty harm gameplay. Can you imagine a bunch of Millennium battleships trying to maneuver around when there's a bunch of them in a group and they didn't have square/round collision? Bad idea, bad idea...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I'd like non-sphere hit primitives though, it's pretty important for accuracies from various directions.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Caydr wrote:AFAIK no game of any genre has done a proper implementation of nonsquare footprints.
Probably you haven't played Blitzkrieg (first one, I'm not sure if this is still so in Blitzkrieg II). Units there had non-square footprints and could easily be unable to turn in a tight space (between trees or other units) so they had to move some distance in their current direction to reach a clear area. Of course, that caused countless 'traffic jams' some of which required player's attention to resolve (pathfinder was unable to sort them on its own). Pathing there was quite interesting though, units could backpedal a little if that would bring them to destination faster that turning around.
smoth

Post by smoth »

many games do not even use footprints.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Something that would be nice is, if a unit hits an obstacle that is moving, it doesn't start twitching around like a retard, but instead just stops/deacellerates/getspushedaway a little bit. Currently when you have some units moving around they behave like children with extra chromosomes.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Zpock wrote:Currently when you have some units moving around they behave like children with extra chromosomes.
i laughed. a lot. does that make me a bad person :?
kiki

Post by kiki »

no, it was just a subtle joke. Well, i see what u mean guys. However, I still like the idea of a square footprint with an open "tunnel" in it where units can pass under the bigger unit, as I said in my last post. Forget the non-square footprint stuff. btw, is this "yardmap"?
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

Yes that is yardmap, but I believe that is only for stationary buildings. I have a nasty suspicion that putting yardmap in a mobile unit will make it not move or worse. Of course I could be wrong about that.
aegis

Post by aegis »

Caydr wrote:You see it in FPSs all the time, your gun goes right through the wall... there's no practical solution besides not allowing you to turn when you're going to clip - which would suck - or making a 1x10 unit have a 10x10 footprint.
err you haven't played crysis?
when running up to the wall, the character pulls the gun in and points it up instead of pushing it into the wall
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Crysis sales where disappointingly low apparently.
kiki

Post by kiki »

NE1 experimented with yardmap on mobile units?

Return to “Feature Requests”