AAGHHHH! PARALYZING WEAPONS!!!!

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

MUST DO DAMAGE DAMNIT! CHANGE IT NOW!

This is hardly a request, more like a bug fix...

I spent an hour just now trying to fix my grenadier's damage! AND THE PARALYZE MAKES HIM DO NONE!

NONE!!!

If anybody can give me a reason (besides being lazy -.-) not to have this fixed, then it can stay, but this is a load of bullsmoth!
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Make a second, invisible weapon that's slaved to the paralyzer.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

It's a mortar.. -.-
With high inaccuracy... -.-

Edit: if I switch the roles up, that could work..

I think having the paralyze hit the area he targets while having the mortar hit inaccurately.. May work...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Then make it a normal damage-causing weapon, and use hitbyweapon() in every unit's script to jam weapons and set MAX_SPEED to 0 when they get hit by it?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Or make the unit spawn a paralyzer weapon itself when it's hit by a mortar which will stun any unit at once.

You then control the stunrate by script by either spawning or not spawning the paralyzer.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

If custom explosion generators could only spawn projectiles...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Hmm indeed.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It is not a bug but normal behavior for paralyser to not do damage.

Slave a normal weapon to your paralyser.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Logically, any weapon should be able to paralyze, do damage or do no damage.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

They used the damage for paralyzer time to stay with ota compatibility. If they do a paralyzer field in addition to the damages field it would solve the issue. But allowing for a secondary "explosion"/payload (i.e. warhead) would solve the issue for more than just paralyzers.

I'd like it where you could define a warhead= tag in the weapon tdf that spawned post-explosion of the first weapon. The idea of a warhead really isn't much different than the idea that when a unit dies it spawns stuff like explosions, corpses, and debri animations.
smoth

Post by smoth »

madrat, in ota weapons could spawn other weapons(unless my memory is incorrect)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

smoth wrote:madrat, in ota weapons could spawn other weapons(unless my memory is incorrect)
:wink:
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

they can't
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

FLOZi wrote:
smoth wrote:madrat, in ota weapons could spawn other weapons(unless my memory is incorrect)
:wink:
You must of been using a different OTA then the rest of us. That wasn't possible.
smoth

Post by smoth »

well, I wasn't sure. I wonder what game it is I was thinking of. I have moded soo damn many games.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Freespace?

Either way, if the CEGs could spawn projectiles we'd have a really versatile system. If they could also generate Lua calls it'd be even more powerful. If we could also control our projectiles with Lua in mid-flight we'd be able to do ANYTHING.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

A little OT, but if anyone was doing a civil war or pirate mod, would it be nice to have cannonballs spawn post explosion? I could see it being useful to clean up cannonballs for spare metal. Not sure if weapon corpses would be useful in any other situation.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

Instead of all this "add an invisible weapon on to it" and "spawn a weapon" things; why cant the paralyzer just do damage like Snipawolf said. Someone should fiddle with it so that the paralyzer does do damage. I have had this same problem, you get a bunch of spiders and you attack someone, they become paralyzed and then what? paralyzing units should be able to fend for themselves. The damage may be low, but it can still take out a Com with enough of them.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You can link a second weapon to the paralyzer, if we change the current behaviour we'll either introduce counterintuitive tags or break all mods that use paralyzers. I'm still not convinced that adding projectiles to the things a custom explo can spawn is a major rewrite and if it was done we could do all kinds of stuff including damaging paralyzers and cluster munitions.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

The clustering munitions and the sort are certainly possible with a warhead= tag. It would solve armor penetrating warhead simulation, too. You could do a sweet napalm effect, especially if each effect had another warhead= tag behind it in a chain. Flak could really be an explosive poof and spawn clusters of smaller effects. The things it solves go on and on.

Return to “Feature Requests”