A small request

A small request

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

clericvash

A small request

Post by clericvash »

This is a small request for everyone working on the game.

Please make sure somehow that your scripts all run from the same place.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

I confused can plz show an example of script u talking about or PM plz.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

What i mean is i don't want each linux version made by different people to use their own working directory where all the spring files are.

There should be a standard directory which each person linux port has access to, this would be ideal.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Working directory should follow FHS layout (depends on distro though)

But other than that peep dont like the fact game atm requires write access to datadir i.e security risk in multi-user setup (devs aware of it & hopefully fixed in the future).

Some peep have setup various methods to install it into user's home directory from a copy installed. Personnaly i toyed around with a python script to install a copy into home directory cp files / directorys & using symlinks were possible.

But really u should complain @ script peep.
1) They should have it set as a global variable to spring datadir @ top of script so its easy to changed i.e only 1 line.
2) Or if using newer version of spring where it reads the datadir entry from /etc/spring/datadir
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Well if you worked with FBO i am sure he could tell you how he did it, he linked home users files to the actual data directory.

Ask him how he did it, as i will be trying out both of them, and don't want two directorys to have to deal with :)
keithjr

Post by keithjr »

Perhaps we should organize a wiki page with this kind of information. Have the scripter provide a breakdown of how the game is run with his/her project, so that future scripters can build with compatibility in mind.

Moreover, the mechanics of the scripts aren't always trivial to the end-user, and most people could benefit from knowing exactly what each port does exactly. *shrug* could be nifty.

Return to “Linux”