UnityLobby - Page 5

UnityLobby

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

What would u like to see implentent next (after next release should be tomorrow or day after at most)???

Poll ended at 20 Jul 2006, 01:04

Direct IP Multiplayer Games
54%
Chatroom (chat only for the moment)
8%
More Options for Configure Section
15%
More Options for Skirmish Section i.e colors teams spectators etc
23%

Total votes: 13

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

hollowsoul, add in a report window that pastes its contents into a pastebin
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Version 3.05 Release
Was a 3.04 but it never got released.

Anyway changes are
  • Cosmetic touchup for skirmish menu
    Mod sides loadin time decreased alot
    Fixed choosing sides (was static coded) u now able to choose your(or AI ) sides.
    Pygtk now stores temp files / config file / script.txt inside $HOME/.spring-gui

Automatic Detection of Gentoo ebuild install
    Automatic Detection of DepSpring (fbo package) install
    Although not tested since got no offers of anyone to test it. Should work though

If u are using a svn build

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /etc/spring
    echo "/path/to/datadir" > /etc/spring/datadir
    That way script will be able to find your datadir, plus spring uses this to find datadir anyway, not sure what svn revision that was put into
Notes for fbo users
U no longer need the symlink $HOME/.springrc
U can remove it if u want

Note
Player Name & Sound werent quiet ready yet. Decided to make a release without them. Since the auto detection & fixed mod sides loading times & choosing your sides were ready
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Did all you said in your first post and came to this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/spring-gui", line 180, in ?
GUI_Skirmish = imp.load_module('gui_skirmish',GUI_Skirmish[0],GUI_Skirmish[1],GUI_Skirmish[2])
File "/home/liam/Desktop/spring-config-3.05/gui_skirmish.py", line 33, in ?
import unitsync
ImportError: No module named unitsync
Also in setup.ini you have this:
# Install Setup
# Possible Values is
# GENTOO
# DEPSPRING
Should it not be DEBSPRING not DEPSPRING :)
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

It's not workin for me ...
I'm on dapper. What I have done :
-Added fbo depot.
-Install with apt-get install spring spring-basedata
-decompresse spring-config-3.05.tar.bz2 into /home/jerome/Spring/spring-config-3.05
-copied unitsync.so into the spring-config directory
-Modified GLOBAL.py to have SPRING_GUI_INSTALL = '/home/jerome/Spring/spring-config-3.05' instead of original one.
-trying to launch it with python main.py

The error is :

Error no DepSpring found datadir found in user home
/home/jerome/.springdir/:0.0
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

You probably actually need to run FBO's scripts, so this gui actually has something to work with.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

updated:
clericwash u need to get your hands on unitsync.so
to get seperately grab an svn checkout

scons omni
the unitsync.so will be under omni directory
Or if u want hold on for a few days & should have something easier & nicer for depspring users.
Word

Post by Word »

I'm not sure what you mean by sides hardcoded but I just noticed if you have you as arm and everyone else as core..everyone else will still be arm..and if you be core and everyone else core..you'll be arm and everyoen else will be core.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Word weird...

What version u using cause that shouldnt happen, anyway sent my email to u in PM in a sec. Also write what teams u picked for yourself & ai plz so i can reproduce it.

Also on irc as always.
Can u email me your script.txt plz

If u using 3.05 it be in $HOME/.spring-gui/script.txt
If u using older one it be in <datadir>/script.txt

In older versions 3.03 it wrote your team to be ARM regardless of what u picked or what sides were available.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Turns out i missed a few things.
Thx to help with Word (for debuggin it) i get a fixed release for fbo users tomorrow. to late atm to think about coding atm

Note:- Should only effects fbo users & added warning @ download link
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

New release is just changes for fbo users.

Hopefully should work this time.
keithjr

Post by keithjr »

SO SORRY I didn't chime in earlier. I found an odd bug but a) I figured it was something I did wrong because nobody mentioned it and b) I was away from my computer for the past two days

When I start spring with springgui, everything works fine at first, but I get some graphical oddness when I move my camera. Try this on the map "Castles" because it shows it in greatest relief. With the Ground Detail set to 10, some of the sharper hills seem to bend and "melt" as I get closer or farther from them. When I decrease the Ground Detail, the effects get worse, until about 4 when the entire terrain seems flat and water starts to show in the lower plains were there was none before. If I delete/rename .sprinrc and rerun fbo's "spring-setup", the game plays normally.

Any idea what might cause this?

EDIT:

also, clericvash, Ubuntu requires you install a serious load of packages to compile from svn. Most notably you need to install svn and scons, and then follow the directions in the Developement forum sticky about building the code (there's a simple command line). when you run scons configure in the trunk directory for the first time(s), it'll fail over and over again and each time will complain about a missing header, so just find the corresponding "dev" package in synaptic, and you should be on your merry.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

yeah i noticed alot of engine bugs...
i.e Fullscreen doesnt work anymore unless u tell it from console spring -f
assumed i was only one runnin into them & using latest svn :/
I poke tvo when he is back from holidays, only peep on irc that help fixed probs i ran into before.

Anyway 2 options atm (till engine dev's sort it out)
As i am using values from from tvo & wiki config section. So cant see why its app fault unless engine has bugs or some of the entrys i got from peep & wiki = wrong

1) Edit skrimish.py
and comment out this line (Its near the bottom of the file)

Config.save(self,Config.get_option(ini, 'MAIN', 'SPRING_CONF', ''),Config.get_option(ini, 'MAIN', 'SPRING_CONF_TEMP', '')) #FIX??
i.e

#Config.save(self,Config.get_option(ini, 'MAIN', 'SPRING_CONF', ''),Config.get_option(ini, 'MAIN', 'SPRING_CONF_TEMP', '')) #FIX??
That will stop script from savin springrc all together

2) Edit config.py

Under

def save(self, filename, tempfile):
U see entrys for each config option. If u comment one of them out. It will stop app from savin that value to springrc

Either way u should nuke your springrc file after making either changes

Also if u care to mess around GLOBAL.py contains the upper/lower/default values for the configure screen incase some of them are wrong. But i believe they are correct
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

keithjr wrote:SO SORRY I didn't chime in earlier. I found an odd bug but a) I figured it was something I did wrong because nobody mentioned it and b) I was away from my computer for the past two days

When I start spring with springgui, everything works fine at first, but I get some graphical oddness when I move my camera. Try this on the map "Castles" because it shows it in greatest relief. With the Ground Detail set to 10, some of the sharper hills seem to bend and "melt" as I get closer or farther from them. When I decrease the Ground Detail, the effects get worse, until about 4 when the entire terrain seems flat and water starts to show in the lower plains were there was none before. If I delete/rename .sprinrc and rerun fbo's "spring-setup", the game plays normally.

Any idea what might cause this?

EDIT:

also, clericvash, Ubuntu requires you install a serious load of packages to compile from svn. Most notably you need to install svn and scons, and then follow the directions in the Developement forum sticky about building the code (there's a simple command line). when you run scons configure in the trunk directory for the first time(s), it'll fail over and over again and each time will complain about a missing header, so just find the corresponding "dev" package in synaptic, and you should be on your merry.
In reply to your top part, it does that for me on all lowest settings on windows in the current version.

And the second part, i think i just gave up my support for linux, i really can't ber bothered with all this SVN stuff and configure this, compile that.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

i think i just gave up my support for linux, i really can't ber bothered with all this SVN stuff and configure this, compile that.
Instead of just giving up at your first road bump.
U could just try grabbin your springrc & make a bug entry in
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/mantis/my_view_page.php
Personnaly i gonna ask tvo to look @ it when he is back.

Or if u know windows version has higher values for ground detail etc that work better, u could give me a shout what they are & could test them out & check source again for higher / lower values. U can also define the upper / lower /default values for them in GLOBAL.py. Its very easy & the reason the file is there is so users can change those values incase they are wrong

Not to mention i gave instructions to disable savin certain config values / the whole config. So u can avoid using app to save config & just use it for makin up skirmish matchs

Linux support is not gonna get better if noone chips in to help out.
I asked for debsping users to help debug 2 releases ago, got exactly 0 offers thus the broken version for debspring. In the end Word helped debug it later on irc & thus got a working version outof it for about 5 minutes work, not asking alot is it ?
I also asked debspring users to test if they can create a file inside their datadir. Noone tested it (even u commented on it, and never heard back yes/no)

Lastly debspring users will have a seperate package which will include unitsync.so & hopefully the script aswell.
Once me & fbo sort out adding support for using his automatic downloading mod / maps inside the pygtk app.

And as side note
hollowsoul

Before this never coded before in python or did anything with gentoo ebuilds
keithjr

Post by keithjr »

hollowsoul: be patient, friend. This product of yours is still very YOUNG! You've coded like a wild crazy wildebeest and we are all very thankful for your work. This thing has bee churned out in a very short amount of time, and not everybody can keep up with your rapid pace :). During the workweek I am only home and awake for maybe 3-4 hours so I don't get a whole lot of time to sit around and play spring nowadays. So if nobody responds for a while, fear not, we still bow down to your pythonic divinity.

Regarding engine funkiness: Yes, I have noticed this occur while using deb-spring (melty landscape that is) but it never got as bad as levelling out the entire map. Are you sure you are scaling the min/max/default values correctly? Remember, the engine min/def/max values are 20-60-120 (in decimal), the ones posted earlier are a hex table. That's the only thing I can think of.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Blah u bet me to it
Was just looking over wiki config section & noticed my min max values for ground detail inside app were way off.

Turns out it was reading grass details values defined in GLOBAL.py
instead of using the ground details from GLOBAL.py.

Basicly was a (typo). Just did test & its ok now
Will have new release in a sec
Now if i could just find out why fullscreen hates me so much

Edited:- Released 3.07
Hope that file host works out
Anyway ground detail now uses the correct values from GLOBAL.py
Should work now & should solve the graphic problems some users incountered
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

When I launch "python main.py" , I've got those errors :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 196, in ?
    if Config.get_option(ini, 'MAIN', 'STARTUP', '0') == '1':
  File "/home/jerome/Spring/spring-config-3.06/config.py", line 102, in get_option
    set_option(src,section,option,default_value)
  File "/home/jerome/Spring/spring-config-3.06/config.py", line 114, in set_option
    config.set(section,option,value)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/ConfigParser.py", line 358, in set
    raise NoSectionError(section)
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'MAIN'
I think I have correctly modifier setup.ini and global.py

edit: Is it planned to add this to fbo's depot? If a simple apt-get install Spring-GUI would work out of the box, that would be really cool.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Well if it works then i won't give up, but i don't do all this compiling stuff.

I will come back once the program has matured a little.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

@ Torrasque
Hopefully will be packaged by fbo,once get download-content thing he has supported.

Newer version available should upgrade since will solve problem with graphics settings.
anyway

U got ?

#======================================================
 #	General Settings for Spring-Gui
#======================================================

# INSTALL is show spring-gui knows how u installed spring i.e
# 	INSTALL = Gentoo    is for gentoo / svn builds
# 	INSTALL = Debspring is for debspring i.e fbo package
INSTALL = 'Debspring'

# Location where spring-gui is installed
SPRING_GUI_INSTALL = '/home/jerome/Spring/spring-config-3.06'

# Location for spring binary
# i.e for debspring  /usr/bin/spring.bin
SPRING = '/usr/bin/spring.bin'
make sure u nuke this folder if u have it
rm -rv /home/jerome/.springdir/<whatevers_here>/spring-gui
(code doesnt check for a failed setup. Will add that when i get a chance)

Also have a look inside it, theres a file setup.ini that tells script where to find everything. Might give a clue whats going wrong..

srry but gtg out. to nice a day to waste. Hope u get it working

@clericwash the compiling is now way my fault & define mature ?
This script is just over a week old. Cant expect it to run flawless unless peep help test out each release.
And cant exactly test it out on debspring without volunteers & now i just lost 1
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

I wasn't saying the compiling was your fault.
Last edited by clericvash on 17 Jul 2006, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Linux”