Installing Static Builds N00b

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

practicalkat

Post by practicalkat »

I have used Linux (Ubuntu and Mint) for a couple of years, but have no idea how to set up the static binaries for Spring and Springlobby. I used apt-get remove on the system versions (having setup the ppa for spring) because my laptop is running an old version of Mint (based on Ubuntu 12.04).

I assume that I copy the static binaries to a system folder like usr/games, and then create symlinks in a path where the system will pick it up. Also, where do I put my Total Annihilation data files? I've copied the entire install (from wine) under the .spring/game directory so far.
gajop

Re: Installing Static Builds N00b

Post by gajop »

practicalkat wrote:I have used Linux (Ubuntu and Mint) for a couple of years, but have no idea how to set up the static binaries for Spring and Springlobby. I used apt-get remove on the system versions (having setup the ppa for spring) because my laptop is running an old version of Mint (based on Ubuntu 12.04).
I assume that I copy the static binaries to a system folder like usr/games, and then create symlinks in a path where the system will pick it up.
Unless you're trying to make a package (which I don't think you are), you shouldn't be installing anything in /usr or /lib.
To use the static binaries just extract them and execute spring directly. Springlobby (or whatever lobby you're using) might need to be configured to use the correct static binary, but I can't assist you with that.
practicalkat wrote: Also, where do I put my Total Annihilation data files? I've copied the entire install (from wine) under the .spring/game directory so far.
Spring doesn't use TA files, just forget about that. Spring has independently made games and maps and that is what you should use.
There might exist some attempts to convert it, but if you want to use TA I suggest you go to TA universe
practicalkat

Re: Installing Static Builds N00b

Post by practicalkat »

Thanks!

Return to “Linux”