Debian+Spring 89+BA+ATI proprietary+Pulseaudio... Works !

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

liotier

Post by liotier »

Discovering Spring 89 from Debian with Balanced Anhilation, using ATI proprietary drivers... I have only merely tested on Comet Catcher with a lame AI but what a pleasant surprise : TA, without the problems and with the addition of everything I ever dreamt TA to be back in the day - and more... Now I have a RTS to teach my five daughters on - and it even runs on Debian, which is the only OS in this home. I just have to re-awaken the TA flame in my old game partners...

I first had no sound, but 'apt-get install alsoft-conf' later I could disable all backends except the excellent Pulseaudio - and sound works. In its beginnings, Pulseaudio may have been distributed half-baked and badly packaged but nowadays it is a solid piece of infrastructure that I absolutely rely on - let's stop blaming it and advising users to disable it !
abma
Spring Developer

Re: Debian+Spring 89+BA+ATI proprietary+Pulseaudio... Works

Post by abma »

wow, thanks for this success report.

fyi: spring 94.1 works with opensource ati drivers :) but i guess its hard to setup on debian, as it requires new versions of mesa / xorg / kernel.org.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Why Debian for your only OS? I ask because, personally, I would pick Mint. Congrats, though!
liotier

Post by liotier »

abma wrote:fyi: spring 94.1 works with opensource ati drivers :) but i guess its hard to setup on debian, as it requires new versions of mesa / xorg / kernel.org.
I switched from the radeonhd driver to ATI proprietary because playing Day Of Defeat only worked with that one.
liotier

Post by liotier »

Neddie wrote:Why Debian for your only OS? I ask because, personally, I would pick Mint.
I like the values of the Debian Project, I feel at home with the way the distribution works, I have never been disappointed with packaging quality or support and that is what most of my geek friend use. I have been using Debian on both servers and desktops since 1997 - so maybe I should just admit it is inertia...

I spent a few years with Ubuntu on the desktop, at a time when Ubuntu led the way in smoothing out a few rough edges... But Ubuntu has moved toward a different audience and Debian has upped its game so I came back.

Return to “Linux”