Anybody know anything about Nixstaller?

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

http://nixstaller.sourceforge.net/news.php

My linux box isn't really a "gaming" computer so I don't know the state of the "Spring Game Installation on Linux" situation but this seems like it might be a really good candidate for people who want to build linux installers for their Spring Games.
gajop

Re: Anybody know anything about Nixstaller?

Post by gajop »

"Powerful installer" is where I stopped reading - Linux users do NOT want installers, that's why you have package managers.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

gajop wrote:"Powerful installer" is where I stopped reading - Linux users do NOT want installers, that's why you have package managers.
In "package" mode it hooks into whatever package manager you are using and finds and installs all of the necessary dependencies etc. using it... all from a Lua script-able GUI.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

That's pretty cool but I was under the impression the major stumbling block was the lack of a portable linux spring.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

gajop wrote:"Powerful installer" is where I stopped reading - Linux users do NOT want installers, that's why you have package managers.
And this is why linux packaging sucks.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I think linux packaging is an extremely convenient way to manage your core system components (1st party programs, as provided by your distro).

Where it starts to break down is when it comes to random 3rd party ppa:s which start to clog up your sources.lst. These should be split to something like steam or desura that do not need administrative access.

One compromised ppa can leave your computer permanently backdoored after doing update&& upgrade.

Return to “Linux”