Going back to 0.82.7.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 - Page 2

Going back to 0.82.7.1 on Ubuntu 10.10

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer

Re: Going back to 0.82.7.1 on Ubuntu 10.10

Post by abma »

if you've problems with downgrading then just wait for the next release... it shouldn't take so long as 83.0 ;-)
[mft]Rrrr

Post by [mft]Rrrr »

ok, i'm on 10.04 now) there is no lates SpringLobby, and installation of 0.82.7 also fails. =(
idk what to do, but "plz wait" is not an option =)
bashar

Post by bashar »

build from source maybe? It's that I did yesterday and it works fine (on 11.04), following the wiki instructions.
[mft]Rrrr

Post by [mft]Rrrr »

building from source makes no point of all this packages dancing.
i should admit that it's alot about distro choice. i've changed 5 or so in last 2 weeks, and no satisfaction (ubuntu line 10.04-11.10, mint, sabayon). Deployment for FreeBSD looks as the one i wish i could have http://springrts.com/wiki/FreeBSD_install . I feel like most linux distros for last year were not like bleeding edge but more like pmsing bitch. And spring this days is same for me.

still idk what to do. i'm currently looking for distro were i can install spring naturally easy. windows looks good this days =)

ps: my system hdd died 2weeks ago, and it coincided with spring release convulsions. this is why i am so much about distro choice. still love spring)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

In Gentoo I just put

Code: Select all

=games-strategy/spring-83.0
into /etc/portage/package.mask and it will stay with 0.82.7.1. In Sabayon this should be possible too. You should be able to use the gentoo-overlay mentioned in the wiki. I'm very happy with Gentoo, Sabayon should be very similar - probably with less hands-on-work than you have to do in Gentoo. Ofc software is not as integrated as it is in Ubuntu, Fedora etc, but everything else is more to my taste. And a rolling release distro is simply the best (Fedora and Mint have that too).

Anyway - if you still have a copy of your Sabayon-installation, you should be able to compile spring with the gentoo-overlay and end up having the possibility to switch between versions easily.
samoht70

Post by samoht70 »

Funny coincidence, I also run ubuntu 10.10 and updated to spring 0.83...

I have the spring repositories listed in my ubuntu software update, so when spring 0.83 became available it was installed with all my other updates. I didn't know it wasn't 'live' yet... how was I to know?

:( I'll just play something else this week
[mft]Rrrr

Post by [mft]Rrrr »

after 2 weeks of phukkerry with linuxes and accidental Fall 83... i'm up to call my ex =)
any way i'll w84 next spring version =) i hope if i quit my current last job there will be playable spring version =)

might be that spring does not need so fast paced package deployment, or there should be some beta (not main) packages. also to sustain several versions of ubuntu could be not so easy (idk actually. they might be dead same)

i have some experience to say: good package management system means a lot, and is vital for future systems. i don't think there is a good leader in this field.

ps: while there is no playable spring for me i feel like this is my shared blog =)
btw: i'm currently on Mint 11 (with gnome); customization of search in firefox have fixture.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

just to be sure nobody misses it: 84.0 is out :)

Return to “Linux”