Dualscreen/Twinview bug

Dualscreen/Twinview bug

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

LUH3417

Dualscreen/Twinview bug

Post by LUH3417 »

Hello !

I'm runing spring under Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid). I have an Nvidia GT8800 and two screens. I'm using the TwinView option in the "NVIDIA X Server Settings".

Here is my problem/bug when i launch a game :

Interesting, isn't it ? :mrgreen:

I tryed to change resolution in spring options with 2560x1024 but it doesn't works too, same for the dualscreen option ...

Any idea ?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Re: Dualscreen/Twinview bug

Post by Tobi »

Run windowed and make it fullscreen borderless window using your window manager?

Not entirely sure that works with twinview tho but at least with the way I configured my second monitor I can basically just choose on which monitor I make it fullscreen.

(I don't play Spring dualscreen, I use other monitor for other stuff in the mean time...)
badlee

Post by badlee »

What you have to do is create a meta-mode in the xorg.conf file under your screen. the entry should look like:

Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024 +1680+0, DFP: 1680x1050 +0+0"

Of course changing your resolution to whatever you desire, but keeping a +0+0
LarryTheCanary

Post by LarryTheCanary »

Did you ever solve this? I am having the same problem.

@Tobi - How do you run windowed? I can't find any option for it in the Lobby or any spring configuration file in /etc

Thanks
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

SpringSettings (can be started from within SpringLobby), there is a tickbox there somewhere (might have to switch to expert mode).
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

FullScreen=0 in ~/.springrc. KDE window manager has an easy option for fullscreen (can even set Spring to always start borderless/fullscreen that way), the Gnome one hasn't (at least I haven't found it yet), so there you may have to just play in maximized window with borders.
aegis

Post by aegis »

I think gnome has a hotkey for fullscreen and possibly a context menu option
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

On Fedora 12, it's not in the context menu (by default?). I'll have to check if there's a hotkey, thanks.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

this happened to me too when i tried fullscreen using dual monitors. i tried the twinview option in springsettings, but since the resolutions of the two monitors are not the same the game screen was still split between the two monitors.

my solution was to run it without fullscreen mode at the resolution of one of my two monitors, this way when it starts it takes up an entire screen as if it was fullscreen. If you need edge scrolling you can bind a key to do /grabinput so that you do that every time it starts and it's like playing it fullscreen in one of your two monitors.
tbh i started using smoothscroll when i couldn't figure out how to get edge scroll back, and imo it's better.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I got spring to work with TwinView using a separate x session, e.g.

Code: Select all

xinit /usr/local/bin/spring $* -- :1 -config xorg.conf
I think it is gnome/metacity/compiz that is conflicting with the window dimensions you want so you need to load a blank x session and then it works fine. In Ubuntu use ctrl+alt+F7 to return to your desktop (this is the equivalent of an alt-tab), and ctrl+alt+F8 to go back to the game.

Return to “Linux”