Linux: Other programs popping a messagebox ruin the game - Page 2

Linux: Other programs popping a messagebox ruin the game

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Peet
Malcontent

Re: Linux: Other programs popping a messagebox ruin the game

Post by Peet »

A better attitude is to expect other people who don't code spring to fix it, and growl at them for showing you how to fix it externally, evidently.
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Don't know who that is, since I'm not expecting anyone to fix it. I did however help out and show a possible solution that I knew of :)
HAARP

Post by HAARP »

Peet wrote:A better attitude is to expect other people who don't code spring to fix it, and growl at them for showing you how to fix it externally, evidently.
I am not "growling" at anybody. Sorry if I sounded offensive or anything...
I'm merely saying that the solution posted is too hacky for my tastes.

If I'm getting so spare time in the next few days I'll look into writing a better init script myself. Just to prove that I'm not a lazy git who cannot do anything but complain. Hah!
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

HAARP wrote: I am not "growling" at anybody. Sorry if I sounded offensive or anything...

If I'm getting so spare time in the next few days I'll look into writing a better init script myself. Just to prove that I'm not a lazy git who cannot do anything but complain. Hah!
That would be cool; maybe it could be included in the official repos.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

LordMatt wrote:
HAARP wrote: I am not "growling" at anybody. Sorry if I sounded offensive or anything...

That would be cool; maybe it could be included in the official repos.
Yeah if it works I'd definitely merge it in
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Um, I really hope it won't be on by default.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

If you have an nVidia card:
To make it so you can alt-tab/switch workspaces with Spring WITHOUT a separate X server, all you have to do is put the game in windowed mode, then as soon as it starts, use your window manager hotkey to put the game into fullscreen(if it's not set, in Ubuntu, go to 'System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts'). Everything works as it should, but now you can alt-tab. :)

I originally did this because Linux with dual monitors and full screen apps tends to freak out, but if you put apps into fullscreen with the window manager hotkey it'll only fullscreen them on ONE of your screens, instead of trying to stretch it across both.

This works with or without Compiz.
This will fix alt-tab issues, you can use ctrl-alt-arrow keys, and pup-ups will no longer screw things up. It will also fix the game taking over your hotkeys(i.e. you can use media keys fine)
This is a known problem for almost every game that depends on SDL. What pisses me off even more is the fact that even if I want to switch to the background, I can't. SDL-based games hog my keys and don't allow the window manager to receive key events.
The obviously best solution would be to fix SDL in that regard and stop Spring from dropping its FPS.
Another interesting fact for SDL-based games is the corruption of mouse input should the game crash. Luckily for that there's umouse...
It should fix all that too, although I make no guarantees.
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Wow, that fullscreen thing rocks. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Linux”