New Ubuntu Apt Repository for Spring - Page 3

New Ubuntu Apt Repository for Spring

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

det

Re: New Ubuntu Apt Repository for Spring

Post by det »

Intrepid Repository

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/spring/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/spring/ubuntu intrepid main
To Install

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install spring-engine spring-lobby-springlobby spring-installer ca-installer
shanepardue

Post by shanepardue »

I'm showing spring-engine, spring-installer, spring-lobby, and spring-lobby-springlobby, but no spring.
shanepardue

Post by shanepardue »

I installed the engine and the lobby and I think that will be all I need..I guess I was confused without the spring virtual package. I'll let you know if I have any more problems. Thanks!!
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

shanepardue wrote:I installed the engine and the lobby and I think that will be all I need..I guess I was confused without the spring virtual package. I'll let you know if I have any more problems. Thanks!!
Yes, I still need to actually upload the meta package.
Geist

Post by Geist »

Hi

I installed Spring using the packagemanagement resently and now I have some isues with the paged AIs, I can not find in the AI subsection, so I think it could be something with the packages. First thing with AAI I had to make the /usr/share/games/spring/AI subfolder writeable for my normal account and now it still crashes Spring with segmentationfault on gamestart.
The other isue is KAI sometimes crashing and me losing mousecontrol after returning to Gnome (actualy, it looks like some part of the HAL-demon is not responding, have to look at this closer).

Oh, in case it could be a problem with the mod I play: it is XTA. I can try another mod tomorror, for better messurement.

Greatings Geist

Edit: directory

Update: fond the problem with AAI: renmaed the cfg file at the wrong place. Is there a reason why there are THREE places for spring data?
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Geist wrote:Update: fond the problem with AAI: renmaed the cfg file at the wrong place. Is there a reason why there are THREE places for spring data?
Yes.

Anything not in your home directory is meant to be read-only and only modified/installed by packages. This data is also shared across user accounts.

The exception to this is /usr/local, which you should only have things in if you compile from source yourself (this way they don't conflict with where the packages install things).

But, as you've noted, sometimes you need to add your own data - eg config files for the AI or a new map. Spring is, or should, be configured to read the read only data first and then supplement/replace it with whatever is in your home directory (~/.spring).

This is the way all Linux apps are, and it's a nice standard that makes multiple user accounts and the packaging system actually work.
Geist

Post by Geist »

I know of the different path intensions. But spring seams to use them a bit strange (or parts of spring like the AIs). AAI did not work correctly put in ~/spring/AI or ~/.spring/AI. What brings me to the other point: there are two directorys in my homefolder and their content was identical at first. Afaik a <program> directory should only excist if there is user manipulated data. User setings should go to a .<program> directory.

GReatings Geist
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Geist wrote:I know of the different path intensions. But spring seams to use them a bit strange (or parts of spring like the AIs). AAI did not work correctly put in ~/spring/AI or ~/.spring/AI. What brings me to the other point: there are two directorys in my homefolder and their content was identical at first. Afaik a <program> directory should only excist if there is user manipulated data. User setings should go to a .<program> directory.

GReatings Geist
Right, ~/spring shouldn't exist at all, everything in it should be in ~/.spring.

This was a serious bug in springlobby, but I'm told it's no longer an issue.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

http://ppa.launchpad.net/spring/ubuntu/ ... 3_i386.deb

latest package does not inlcude any binary
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

koshi wrote:http://ppa.launchpad.net/spring/ubuntu/ ... 3_i386.deb

latest package does not inlcude any binary
Ahh, figured out the problem -- debian/compat was set to level 4 but the package build script wasn't installing into tmp/package-name, so it thought the springlobby package was just empty.

Fixed by reverting to compat level 1, uploading now. Should be live in about an hour.
mar

Post by mar »

Hi,
Maps packages also seems to be empty
shanepardue

Post by shanepardue »

Here are a bunch of maps. http://spring.cn20070661.p-client.net/s ... y.php?id=1

Just download and move them to your maps folder.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

mar wrote:Hi,
Maps packages also seems to be empty
Yup. On it.
Insomniak

Post by Insomniak »

Is the hardy heron repository already updated ?
It's an LTS, i don't want to upgrade my Ubuntu version for the moment, so i hope this repository will continue to be updated.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Insomniak wrote:Is the hardy heron repository already updated ?
It's an LTS, i don't want to upgrade my Ubuntu version for the moment, so i hope this repository will continue to be updated.
Yes, the only thing that doesn't work in Hardy is automatic torrent downloads of maps/mods.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

.. about the AIs
the current version of spring does not look for AIs in the current working directory only!
i dont remember which it is on linux, i think it is ~/.spring, but am not sure about that. but it does nto look in any other positions for AI libraries. the AIs themself, as they stand now, only reference data files
(logs, config files, cache, ...) from the current working dir aswell.
The new AI interface looks for AIs in all data dirs, and it supplies the data dirs to AIs, so they can be rewritten to also support the different locations, if the AI devs want so.
dust

Post by dust »

torrent does not work because it does not use encryption

torrent really needs the encryption like http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ is using, more and more isp block torrent!

when i was in a game, went out and wanted to go to the game again it says the mod needs to be downloaded. i have the mod and the other servers with the mod i can connect

please keep the ubuntu repository at launchpad uptodate, so that people dont need any extra files and can download mods and maps with torrent. :)
dust

Post by dust »

every time i want to play on a server it says that i dont have the right version. i deleted all maps and mods and downloaded it with the springlobby torrent but it still dont work.

any ideas?
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Does 0.78.1.1 work on Hardy Heron with the current Repo-Version?
det

Post by det »

It should.

Return to “Linux”