Springer: The small, cheap little single-player system

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

This menu system assumes you have all your maps and mods installed or linked to in your home/ "~/.spring" directory. This has a half-functional configuration file, only the AI line works right now. After downloading and untarring, just run the bash script "InstallMe.sh" to have it install to Spring's default directories; Default to the .DEB repository, from:
deb http://www.osrts.info/~tvo/deb edgy spring # Ubuntu Edgy Eft
deb http://www.osrts.info/~tvo/deb etch spring # Debian Testing
deb http://www.osrts.info/~tvo/deb sid spring # Debian Unstable
Map previews are not yet working, due to a recent change. I hope to have them going again soon, but like I said, RL is getting in the way.

To run the menu, after you run the InstallMe.sh, just run (Alt-F2 in Ubuntu/Gnome) "~/.spring/Springer"

For example:
Download the .tar.gz and untar to desktop
Open a prompt and type:
cd ~/Desktop;bash ./InstallMe.sh;~/.spring/Springer
For a desktop icon, just link to ~/.spring/Springer .

Please post about how this works for everyone. I'd also love to hear constructive suggestions.

vital

Post by vital »

It don't work at all for me. I have spring installed from the repos of osrts.
I used your install.sh, and then tryed to run springer with no results.
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

I apologize for the FuBar`ed release. I'll be releasing the source-code version after a few days; this release was not tested on other machines. The next one WILL run.
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

*sigh* double post.

New version uploaded. This should work. Make sure you have the PyGTK+ module installed. (Comes stock with Ubuntu)

Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Hey, tried it out today and for some reason it didn't start spring

Code: Select all

sh: spring: not found
UI wise, I think its very nice and simple (although not all the 'empty slot' boxes seem to be inline; some are bigger some are smaller :P). Springer will especially attract new players; some even new to linux, so it would be useful to have a UI for the configuration file. Adding another line for the springdirectory would also be useful, as some people will have it installed in various places or maybe have different versions (e.g. SVN & stable).
There should also be some description for each box e.g. Map: & Mod: but I'm sure you were going to do that anyway.
It was good idea to include Kloot's configuration tool too.

Anyway, it's coming along nicely; don't worry about the lack of replies; this will play an important role when the new version comes out, and we start attracting more linux players, because at the moment there's very few of us around.

P.S Also please note that not every mod has Arm or Core in it :P
vital

Post by vital »

the version 0.3 works fine for me.
what is still missing is the handicap selector and the amount of rescource at start.
when choosing more than 1 IA it says it can't fint KAI.so but find it with only one.

I'm still looking for how to change the maximum unit limit that is'nt available in the settings++ .
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

vital wrote:the version 0.3 works fine for me.
what is still missing is the handicap selector and the amount of rescource at start.
when choosing more than 1 IA it says it can't fint KAI.so but find it with only one.

I'm still looking for how to change the maximum unit limit that is'nt available in the settings++ .
The different names (Personas) have varying handicaps. This was done for younger players, and those who didn't want to deal with details. And, it was just quicker this way. The next version will be far more in-depth for the handicaps and alliances, as well as a Spectator Only mode, and multiple AI .so's.

Springer automatically defaults to 5000 unit cap.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

vital wrote: I'm still looking for how to change the maximum unit limit that is'nt available in the settings++ .
The unit limit is set dynamically per game via script.txt, it's not a configurable parameter in ~/.springrc (which is what Settings++ is a frontend for).
vital

Post by vital »

Kloot wrote:The unit limit is set dynamically per game via script.txt, it's not a configurable parameter in ~/.springrc (which is what Settings++ is a frontend for).
OK, but how can I change it? in the settings panel of the windows version, thee is a option to change the unit limit.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Kloot wrote:
vital wrote: I'm still looking for how to change the maximum unit limit that is'nt available in the settings++ .
The unit limit is set dynamically per game via script.txt, it's not a configurable parameter in ~/.springrc (which is what Settings++ is a frontend for).
It is a condigurable setting, how do you think we change it on windows :P
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Not via settings.exe ;) Here's an example section from a script.txt generated by tasclient that should convince you:

[GAME]
{
        Mapname=Green Comet Basic.smf;
        Gametype=XTAPE.sd7;
        StartMetal=1000;
        StartEnergy=1000;
        MaxUnits=1000;
}
For Springer, it should be easy to add a slider that sets the MaxUnits variable, but you'll have to ask Slamoid, not me. :-)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I wouldnt go beyond 10k, thats the internal limit spring uses, some AIs regularly use a 5k limit on area radius checks too.
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Kloot wrote:For Springer, it should be easy to add a slider that sets the MaxUnits variable
Will be added to next release.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

AF wrote:I wouldnt go beyond 10k, thats the internal limit spring uses, some AIs regularly use a 5k limit on area radius checks too.
Doesn't it crash past 5k?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I doubt any game has 5001 units within a 200 pixel radius
Icebird

Post by Icebird »

I've got an error here with 0.3 and python 2.4

icebird@nea ~/.spring $ ./Springer 
RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file
Maybe you compiled it with python 2.5 ?
Also, why don't you ship the (source) .py file ?
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Yes, I'm using 2.5 for the distribution PYC.

I'm not shipping the PY *yet* because I wanted the features more solid before everyone started modifying the source code. Once this is almost on-par with some of the Windows single-player systems, I'll start letting go of the .PY s.

On the development side, while it's slowed, it hasn't stopped. Right now I'm putting in mod-specific Sides and Maps support; I'm trying to find a *GOOD* ai to bundle with this menu system, that way all the mod and AI and side configs can be pre-made and shipped with the menu. I should have this feature finished somtime this month. I'll be working all next week and out of town half next week (Work.... sigh), but I'll try to have this more on the finished side by July.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Got any shots of what it looks like?
Nonor

Post by Nonor »

<Wrong post>
Last edited by Nonor on 19 Jun 2007, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Nonor wrote:I've just tried it to get screenshots and... Woooow ! I'm impressed ! Dude, you got something very clean and nice here ! Pleaaaase continue your work on it, Spring Lobby seems very good to me ! (Well.... Even if I also think that we should be able to watch hosted games while chatting....)

Anyway, screenshots :
You sure you got the right thread? :P

Return to “Linux”