Mouse sensitivity / speed

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

heze

Post by heze »

Hi,

just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and tried how the Linux side of the world works. Everything's running smooth so far except the mouse speed is very slow. Even I change settings in Gnome, nothing happens in the fullscreen dual monitor (twinview) spring. I installed Beryl too, should it matter. Is there a way to affect Spring mouse sensitivity?

<edit>
This can be solved with an enviromental variable "SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0", which I set in a spring.sh script that I use to launch spring. Also I've "bind Alt+q grabinput" in my uikeys.txt so in windowed mode, I can lock the mouse to the window thus being able to scroll by moving the mouse pointer to the edges of the window.
</edit>

Also, by default the thumb buttons don't work for adjusting spacing in building rows/areas. Is there a way to map buttons 6 and 7 to those actions? I have in my xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Option         "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
Thanks,

heze
Last edited by heze on 27 Aug 2007, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

As for the mouse speed, I experienced that too and looked quite a while into a solution but didn't find anything :-/ I think it has something to do with the way SDL bypasses the window manager or something when in fullscreen mode. The only workaround is to play in a maximized window instead of fullscreen...
10053r

Post by 10053r »

yeah, and if you have dual LCD monitors of different sizes, then you HAVE to play in windowed mode or else you get shitty fuzziness in one of them. Just get used to playing using the arrow keys to move around, and the minimap. Also, it is handy to know that holding down shift while using the arrow keys makes you scroll twice as fast.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Or scroll using middle mouse, that's what I use (if you get used to it it's also A LOT faster then scrolling by moving the mouse that looong distance to the edge of the screen 8) )
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

I use the icewm window manager, and set the window to fullscreen.
With "WindowedEdgeMove=1", the screen edge pushing works just fine
(and that is the default setting). This allows you to switch between virtual
screens, and it's easier to kill the exec if it goes sour while dev'ing ;-)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Galciv 2 had a thing where you didnt have to go right to the very edge of the screen to move so you could work in windowed mode. Jelmer added such a feature IIRC a few months ago, forgotten the specifics.

Return to “Linux”