Server issues

Server issues

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
jouninkomiko

Server issues

Post by jouninkomiko »

Just wanted to let you all know that I am aware that the server keeps coming down. Either someone found a vulnerability and is having fun exploiting it, or there is a hard to find bug somewhere. I'm looking VERY hard for it at the moment, and will be releasing a client update that you will need to install manually by extracting the 60 k archive in the TASpring directory. I'll keep you updated, and try restarting the server as often as possible.

EDIT: I updated the server as well as the client, which you will need to sign back on. This version of the lobby uses about 1/3 the memory, should run noticably faster, and has a few extra features, among them being that you can click a link in a chatroom to open up a browser.
FolCan

Post by FolCan »

When i try download it i was getting 404 error

now i get 403 error

nvm its working now
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

i had to quickly take the download down to make a correction. its up again
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

MetalClaw

Post by MetalClaw »

heh. Three hours after I download the game you add a patch. And I was worried the server would be down for a long time, Thanks!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Thx for fixing it so quickly.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

jouninkomiko:
A dedicated server running on a Linux system with all ports closed but the ones needed behind another firewall which can be a small router or something would be the ideal.

Of course, the server probably doesn't run on Lunix and a change now, would probably be too hard to manage. And i supose a machine dedicated entirely to the server would probably be too much? After all you also have the PHP forum and it is probably your workstation as well.

I've noticed that you're running a windows 2000 and that brings me some concern since microsoft is ending suport for it within some months which will mean no more security updates...
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

the code i wrote should mostly if not completely POSIX compliant, and should compile in linux. windows by choice atm
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

jouninkomiko wrote:the code i wrote should mostly if not completely POSIX compliant, and should compile in linux. ...
I was under the impression that you were also using Microsoft's .NET framework on the server.

As i said, the ideal would be to have a dedicated machine running the game-server (or at least the game-server and the Apache+PHP BB) with all doors closed but the ones needed, behind a router also with firewall and with forwarding.

(i hate to bring money into any discussion here, but...)
A router's cost would be pretty much irrelevant but an entire PC/server would not.

I don't know if you have money(who is paying the Internet connection and server, anyway?)/equipment/etc but if you don't, i'm pretty sure that the TA::Spring comunity could gather enough money for a PC serving as a server...

A simple PC tower with 2 HDDs in RAID 0 with extra cooling and 2~3 small UPSs can go under 800├óÔÇÜ┬¼...

I see alot of projects (like many ones in SourceForge) where you can donate money to with PayPal and other stuff.

Or maybe you can get a sonsor that donates you guys Internet bandwidth and a small server!? (most certainly not FilePlanet!!! FilePlanet sucks big time! Burn FilePlanet!)
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Are there other ppl who have this delay of about 500 ms before you see your message after you pressed enter?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Sometimes it takes me even 5s to see the message I type. Other times it works fine.
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

The server is hosted on my home connection, and is a dual P3 500mhz with 512mb ram. Bandwidth and CPU is not nearly maxed out though, but it has currently allocated around 700mb memory for programs. Apache is pretty memory hungry it seems. :) So there will probably be slowdowns while it swaps stuff around at times.

Return to “News”