Some brighter news - Page 2

Some brighter news

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

yer i really would love for them to redo every unit in more detail and better textures
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

Number One, I believe that's a fan-based project already in the works.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

WillRiker : Got to the art forum... :)

edit: Oh, you know it..so why asking?
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Yes the models are very simple. but given the fact that with spring you'll have 200 metal and like 400 units attacking each other eventually, you'll prolly want to keep the polygon count low for now.
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

they said they redoing the units but all units in all of the vids r the original...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You havent read the posts ahve you riker? Read and remember every post. If you look at the page hey put up with whose doign what and whats compelted you'll fidn that most units havent been remade
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

About terain being to deformable, thats not realy possible as the spring engine creates as much land as it destroys around the edge of the crater. Even teh comander blast leaves a rim, which might not look big but then it does go all the way round the hole.

aGorm
Liam

Post by Liam »

yeah, allowing people to specify custom materials in their maps would be good, and you could specify density which would affect how much stuff craters
mongus

Unit remake

Post by mongus »

The remake of units would be accomplished by the community of users...
(once its released (at least a beta?! :| )).
I think in this stage the programers/developers should dedicate to other aspects of the game than remodel avery unit....
I would like to remake some units myself (or atleast try).

I dont like the "explotion" that the commander generates... (too quick.. how bout matrix effect on big explotions?).. but i really like the way the kbots attacking him get blasted away in pieces... an the ones that are closer are hit harder (and farther) by the explotion.. (i guess we already noticed this in some other vid)...
When a kbot dies... it instantly transforms into another shape... almost blinking into another shape... maybe it can malfunction and explode (still in original shape) first?.. (this seems to happen when they left a carcass)
video 15 was amazing! can someone transcript the swedish chat?
Mars Keeper

Re: Unit remake

Post by Mars Keeper »

mongus wrote: video 15 was amazing! can someone transcript the swedish chat?
They are talking about if they want to keep High trajectory or not.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Very nice videos! I especially noticed the improved projectiles: they are now much brighter, so we can finally see them well (like in TA), and they are droplet-shaped, which looks better than spheres since they are in motion. I remember suggesting that, thanks a lot SY's for the improvements.

Also, it's hard to express, but things feel much more realistic now, especially the timing of shots, projectiles, and their effects on units such as explosions pushing things away.

One thing which I would still like to see improved is that units still look a little lost when moving around. (This is a problem with almost all RTS's, by the way.) Instead of looking like they're acting as a team, units spin on themselves in random directions when moving toward the target (ok, I know, coding pathfinding and formations is probably not finished), and when within the enemy base they look confused and turn alternatively toward several targets before firing. Maybe units should take into account what has already been targeted by friendlies, and how much time it will take (approximately) to get destroyed. This way, they could efficiently share the job, by not targeting near-death enemies.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Perhaps I shall end up writting a dll to make the units co-ordinate their fire rather than group 1 firing at random units within range.

Buildings blowing up arent good enough, the commander boom was good, but such as seeing a fusion reactor blow up in vid 15 was rather pathe for a fusion reactor, maybe a bit of wreckage/shrapnel flying high up and some flames, and an afterglow on the ground that last 5 or so secs.

Dynamic lighting and you'll have the graphics done perfect. And the blue box for messages for the Console just seems like it takes up to much space and stands out too much.

And anyone who says the terrain si too deformable, try to realise that a peewee's the size fo a hosue and most explosions are twice as tall as a peewee and 5x wider at least. Now thats like 5 houses across, that must eb oen huge explosion even if its small on TA standards, so of course dirt and oil are gonna be blasted away and even rock is gonna falla way fi nto get shattered and cause a landslide.

Oh yah can we see dirt flying up when terraindeforms and possibly small jagged boulders around the rims of the formed crater on larger explosions?

And perhaps with trees instead of simly being knocked over and dissapearing maybe they could get trampled down and burn?
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Id say also, on large explosions (Nuke, Fusion, Com etc.) Create a graphical effect such as a shockwave.
diggz2k

Post by diggz2k »

The smoke shadow from rockets launched could use smooth animation, its really chunky looking, choppy.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Like the commander death explosion. =)
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

looking back at alantai, i realised that Yes: Trees no longer turn into burnt trees :(

I used to love playing epic africa and burning an entire forest, the carpet bombing a path through it.
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

WHATIS LEFT!? If they're playing, why can't we...what's left to debug! :cry:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Stealth870 wrote:WHATIS LEFT!? If they're playing, why can't we...what's left to debug! :cry:
Uh, you can only test a product through use.

-Shade
[Crusader]

Post by [Crusader] »

I think it looks good enough to let the community test it :)

@smoke shadows: The shadow should be lighter than the smoke. And as the smoke is very light, there should be almost no shadow. (or completely no shadow)

btw sorry for my bad english, im german.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yah, include dynamic lighting and good map feature models and you've got the best looking rts in existance imo

Return to “News”