Spring 105.0 released: maintenance release

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Today we released spring 105.0 which mostly contains bugfixes. New features will come with spring 106.0, on the Roadmap are more Details.

This time, the changelog wasn't updated as this release bypasses the usual release workflow. For details see the git diff: https://github.com/spring/spring/compare/104.0...105.0

Most users won't need a download link, as lobbies can download them automatically. for the completeness:

Download Links The installer for windows and 32 bit linux and 32 bit windows builds are deprecated, thats why not download links are provided.

Please report bugs to our bug-tracker, thanks!

This server costs money, so Donations are welcome!

Happy new year!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Spring 105.0 released: maintenance release

Post by FLOZi »

How much donation is required so that server space is sufficient that you will extend the auto delete script?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

FLOZi wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 00:03 How much donation is required so that server space is sufficient that you will extend the auto delete script?
the script deletes all builds which aren't stable releases after 120 days. IMHO thats a very long time. The values were adjusted when the disk space was to low. This script exists, to make the server run forever without any admin interaction.

What do you suggest, how long should development builds be stored?

I can only repeat: the main issue still is, that we had no stable release for a way to long time.

To solve it probably the next time, when the auto deletion time comes close: please call loud for a stable release.

The issue is, that it would not be a one time cost, it will increase the currently really low running costs.

Atm there is plenty free disk space on the server: but its "reserverd" for the migration of the games and maps of springfiles to it. AFAIK dansan plans to migrate springrts.com to a new server which very likely has more resources, idk what the current state is.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

It is tiresome when you deflect by saying an issue is not an issue because there is another issue.

Having a stable release does not resolve the problem entirely. Only if all games move to that stable release.

If space is reserved for migration and centralization of springfiles resources, great. Does that not increase server costs?

I am (once again) asking to help and instead being treated as a troll. Sadly this is now a common pattern.

"We need more devs" -> patches and pull requests get ignored for months as either "I also want you to clean up this related other code that isn't yours, too" or "I don't know enough about that part of the engine so I won't apply it"

"Here is a quick fix to a major problem" -> "that fixes a problem that is not really a problem the problem is really this [whilst the problem continues unabated]" or "Quick fix won't do, it must also do x/y/z/cure cancer/peace in the middle east"

It's kinda frustrating. More so when I see people with considerably more talent and expertise than myself being shot down in much the same way.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

If space is reserved for migration and centralization of springfiles resources, great. Does that not increase server costs?
springrts.com already mirrors most of the files, so the general disk space usage very likely will stay the same.

i tried to explain the problem: can you please at least answer my question? (made it bold, SCNR)
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Thanks and congratulations for making the 105 release from maintenance finally happen!
how long should non-stable-branch-builds be stored?
120 days is fine IF you also keep the latest 3 builds regardless of how long they've been there.

Abma we called loudly for you to just stop the script (you can just comment out the offending instructions or the likely cron job call) and restore the missing build files, even if temporarily. You could have done that in an afternoon (or an hour). The release took a lot more work.

As far as I know the change log for 105.0 is similar to the changelog that the develop branch had (I think most fixes had been ported to maintenance).

The mantis issues assigned to 104.0.1 maintenance should have also been kept open as they very likely exist on the develop branch as well.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

If you really want a figure let's say triple it to 360 as a starting point, though raaar's post illuminates why its a misleading question to ask. At what point was 'the number reduced when space ran low', and reduced from what to what? Is the 120 the new figure or the old?

How many builds are on there now? You suggested 'just hold n builds' would also be insufficient, but I can't imagine holding 20 dev builds + all stables would ever result in the problem we ran into, or even if it did, not on the same scale.

How many builds can be comfortably held in current space without increasing expenditure?

What would it cost to double the space reserved for that purpose (on a monthly basis)?

I would appreciate you answering my concrete questions, too.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

FLOZi wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 17:48 If you really want a figure let's say triple it to 360 as a starting point, though raaar's post illuminates why its a misleading question to ask. At what point was 'the number reduced when space ran low', and reduced from what to what? Is the 120 the new figure or the old?
see the commit history of https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... cleanup.sh

FLOZi wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 17:48 How many builds are on there now? You suggested 'just hold n builds' would also be insufficient, but I can't imagine holding 20 dev builds + all stables would ever result in the problem we ran into, or even if it did, not on the same scale.
see https://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/

FLOZi wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 17:48 How many builds can be comfortably held in current space without increasing expenditure?
It depends if the debug information is stored or not. I would say currently are ~100GB disk space available. As x32 builds and the installer were removed, currently a build of win64 + linux64 with debug builds uses ~350MB: ~300 full builds. Before it was ~1GB per build of all targets with debug information.

In active times of spring engine development, we had up to 30 full builds a day.

The debug information is required when you want to analyze a crash of spring or a "hang".
FLOZi wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 17:48 What would it cost to double the space reserved for that purpose (on a monthly basis)?
I have no clue, this answer goes to dansan or some hosting price comparison site. The debug builds are not backed up, so relying on them is not good.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

raaar wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 17:43 Abma we called loudly for you to just stop the script (you can just comment out the offending instructions or the likely cron job call) and restore the missing build files, even if temporarily. You could have done that in an afternoon (or an hour). The release took a lot more work.
viewtopic.php?p=596409#p596409
raaar wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 17:43 As far as I know the change log for 105.0 is similar to the changelog that the develop branch had (I think most fixes had been ported to maintenance).
yes, similar but not identical. i've learned its better to have no docs than invalid docs. maybe https://github.com/spring/spring/compare/104.0...105.0 is useful.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Thanks to devs and players! Great engine! Great games! Great people! =)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's good to see that most of the 104.0.1+xyz host have already moved to 105! I can see that some more will move too & after waiting some time for that I'll look into what's going on with the last few.

With maintainance frozen & the transition branch likely to be not used by many for a while yet, I suggest that right now is not a sensible time to write a new autodelete script; better to wait and see what the future beyond 105 looks like. But @abma, if you want, add my ssh key to the right box and I'll add a few lines of Python to only keep the last n builds of each non-master branch.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Silentwings wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 00:05 With maintainance frozen & the transition branch likely to be not used by many for a while yet, I suggest that right now is not a sensible time to write a new autodelete script; better to wait and see what the future beyond 105 looks like. But @abma, if you want, add my ssh key to the right box and I'll add a few lines of Python to only keep the last n builds of each non-master branch.
done+ updated the docs: https://springrts.com/wiki/Spring:Organization
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Thanks for the release!

Donations box says BTC only. Im not familiar with crypto things, can I still paypal to Dansan?
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

abma wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 18:12
raaar wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 17:43 As far as I know the change log for 105.0 is similar to the changelog that the develop branch had (I think most fixes had been ported to maintenance).
yes, similar but not identical. i've learned its better to have no docs than invalid docs. maybe https://github.com/spring/spring/compare/104.0...105.0 is useful.
Isn't https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/m ... ngelog.txt the correct changelog for 105.0/maintenance/master, and so we just need to strip out any lines there from the current develop one to correct it for 105.01.1/develop/106.0 changelog?
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Beherith wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 13:44 Thanks for the release!

Donations box says BTC only. Im not familiar with crypto things, can I still paypal to Dansan?
Yes, Paypal is possible :)
Server costs are a little in the minus (https://springrts.com/wiki/Donations), so I'm happy to receive some. I'll PM you my Paypal account.
BTW: I'm in the discussion (not yet planning) process with the other hardware server owner of a server upgrade. Never mind the doubling of CPU and RAM, but most importantly switching from HDDs to SSDs and getting rid of those IO lags.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Thanks a lot to Beherith!
Can someone with write access please update the 'Donations' wiki page with +40€ in 2021?
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

dansan wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 19:16 Yes, Paypal is possible :)
Server costs are a little in the minus (https://springrts.com/wiki/Donations), so I'm happy to receive some. I'll PM you my Paypal account.
As this came up:
Can you PM me your Paypal data too? I'd like to donate something as well...
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

FLOZi wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 19:49
abma wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 18:12
Isn't https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/m ... ngelog.txt the correct changelog for 105.0/maintenance/master, and so we just need to strip out any lines there from the current develop one to correct it for 105.01.1/develop/106.0 changelog?
Abma, your view? Hoko says it is probably ok. I can strip out these lines from current 106.0 changelog so that we have relatively correct 105.0 and dveelop changelogs - I think this will be useful for people updating to 105.0.

@Dansan, PM me too please.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

@Dansan, PM me too
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

New release! You are awesome in the end! 8)

I want to donate as well - send me PayPal account please.

Return to “News”